Moved to a new coop

Ifeel like a slacker -How can I look my guineas in the eye every day and not notice? 🤦‍♀️ isn't the washed out look where the DSV comes in? It's the opposite of what it sounds like, and really means "diluted"?
The only time that you will see the true colors of your guineas is shortly after the molt. From that time forward the sun continuously bleaches them.

Oh wow, very pretty baby!!! :love I just love lavender! I’ll check my adult lavenders again but was sure that they have dark eyes... As for read nail polish - no worries there! I’ve just given up on my poor hands...
Thanks! He(guessing) is a little cutie 🤗 He was nice and didn’t put up too big of a fuss getting held.

I was never able to corner a white guinea and didn’t want to lose what little trust they have with me. But.... I was able to get a close enough picture to see ones eye color, blue! I’d love if all my Littles ones keep their blue eyes😍
03ECBCD8-4748-4EC9-9A10-C777A8BDEC3E.jpeg
A few more pictures of them out free ranging with the royal palms yesterday. I’ve been hovering since (best guess) a hawk killed one of my young pullets a few days ago😔 I saw a hawk circling above the coop and run right after I locked these guys back up. No one will be out for a couple more days.
F58F6A20-EE56-4297-8A42-781249DA6AED.jpeg
9BECA20D-DB09-4B4E-91D1-AD5D44A54DBE.jpeg
D49B2530-861F-44B0-A43E-DEBD062E4A2E.jpeg

I was never able to corner a white guinea and didn’t want to lose what little trust they have with me. But.... I was able to get a close enough picture to see ones eye color, blue! I’d love if all my Littles ones keep their blue eyes😍
View attachment 2328963A few more pictures of them out free ranging with the royal palms yesterday. I’ve been hovering since (best guess) a hawk killed one of my young pullets a few days ago😔 I saw a hawk circling above the coop and run right after I locked these guys back up. No one will be out for a couple more days. View attachment 2328962View attachment 2328964View attachment 2328965
What gorgeous birds!! Love the turkeys! Hawks, bleh. We will soon have a ton of hawks due to migration routes...

What gorgeous birds!! Love the turkeys! Hawks, bleh. We will soon have a ton of hawks due to migration routes...
Thank you😊
The turkey in the bottom of the last pic is my baby, Beep-Beep. They were ment to be food, but I ruined that plan by snuggling him🤦‍♀️
3FAE2540-88C9-44C0-B1F8-BE6D588FF310.jpeg
Because of my snuggling he got really attached to me. He calls out to me and will come when called for. He will be a lifetime pet now🤗
I hadn’t thought about the hawks migrating. I wonder if that’s why we ended up having one attack. We’ve never had an issue before even though we do have a lot of hawks in the area.
We’ve been thinking about putting poultry netting over the run to avoid this happening again.

It will most likely have a short lifetime. Turkeys are very social and should have other turkeys for companions.
He does:) One Jenny and another jake. Next year I hope to hatch eggs and add a few more girls to their flock and get them set up in their own proper coop. I ran out of time to do it this year, so they share the guinea coop for now:/ I know that’s frowned upon. I will have them moved out before the Littles first breeding season.

Thank you😊
The turkey in the bottom of the last pic is my baby, Beep-Beep. They were ment to be food, but I ruined that plan by snuggling him🤦‍♀️
View attachment 2329015Because of my snuggling he got really attached to me. He calls out to me and will come when called for. He will be a lifetime pet now🤗
I hadn’t thought about the hawks migrating. I wonder if that’s why we ended up having one attack. We’ve never had an issue before even though we do have a lot of hawks in the area.
We’ve been thinking about putting poultry netting over the run to avoid this happening again.
OMG - how sweet is that pic!!! I’ve heard that turkeys are really sweet but haven’t had one. He’s just adorable. We need to butcher our “meatbirds” which are just our dual purpose layers that we bred. At least we’ve kept them untamed and afraid of us; butchering them is still going to suck though!

We are along the Central Flyway and will get many many raptors flying high overhead, but I think a few stop to refuel. There are also the juveniles that are trying to make it on their own and may be willing to take risks that the more experienced adults wouldn’t. Two years ago, we lost a duck to a juvenile red tailed hawk. We encourage the crows to come around in order to drive the hawks away.

https://nystateparks.blog/2018/03/27/raptor-migration-and-hawk-watching/

Our rainy weather has finally left us and we had a beautiful warm sunny day yesterday.
Everyone is still under strict supervision, but they got more time out.
Playing follow the leader with the cat.
FF3F3AD7-5E52-444D-BE92-2F04DC640445.jpeg

4AC16D46-435A-4BA0-B70C-9BDD94C98D0F.jpeg

Lucy stalking and harassing them.
A6B9A326-11C0-41A2-A182-A7A8B2AE6954.jpeg
127E536C-05DA-4BDA-84B4-08EAD69AEE71.jpeg

I’ve heard buckwheating from at least one of each color. I hope I have more then three females, but I can’t tell anyone apart yet to know if there are multiple females in the different color groups. They have been using their adult calls more and more lately.

Back
Top Bottom