Moved to a new coop

Pics

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
I had been very nervous about moving our guineas to a new coop. They are just over a year old and had been in their original coop since they were 4wks old.
The reason for the move was because their coop was in the most ideal location for a big fenced in run. We don’t want to free range our chickens, so they needed a pen, while our guineas are free ranged full time.
The solution sounds easy enough, right? Move the chickens in and kick the guineas out. Haha, yeah.....

The day finally came and it was time to coop the guineas. We made a funnel fence to aid in getting them in the door. To my surprise we got all but one guinea into the new coop! 😃 The last one had to be cornered in the chicken fence. I grabbed it holding the wings down and close to my body. My free hand was lightly around its neck Incase he would try to peck me. I could feel his anger radiating off of him😬 Poor thing dropped a lot of feathers in the process.
I was not thrilled if this was going to be our new daily routine. 😑

To my never ending surprise they have all allowed my kids and I to coop them every night since!
We found the most effective way to get them all inside was to focus on getting the girls in. Once the girls are in the boys will follow with every little effort on our part. I’m so happy to say the move has been successful,

Now for the best part...pictures 😁
Outside with a 3ft fence to keep them somewhat contained while cooping them up. Yes, they very easily clear the fence if they want to, but it isn’t ment to be anything more then a way to keep them from running all directions😆
22487418-41E6-4F0C-84E1-C1158B04B24F.png

I’m hoping they will use these recycling bins as nesting boxes come fall/early spring. My chickens like them, but the guineas so far just like laying out in the tall grass.
67186A2F-497B-43EA-A3F6-2A80094AE840.jpeg

BE9143A1-E802-463B-B9CD-6E3A78E71A78.jpeg

The chicken wire under the roosts will be for introducing the new baby guineas. I haven’t moved them out just yet. I’m thinking they will sleep in their pen area at night, but get free roaming of the coop during the day while the adults are out. The fenced in area is 4’ x 8‘ So not all that big for keeping them in there 24/7 till they are ready for slow release.
And that’s the coop😊 Nothing special or fancy, but everyone seems happy with it😁

I had been very nervous about moving our guineas to a new coop. They are just over a year old and had been in their original coop since they were 4wks old.
The reason for the move was because their coop was in the most ideal location for a big fenced in run. We don’t want to free range our chickens, so they needed a pen, while our guineas are free ranged full time.
The solution sounds easy enough, right? Move the chickens in and kick the guineas out. Haha, yeah.....

The day finally came and it was time to coop the guineas. We made a funnel fence to aid in getting them in the door. To my surprise we got all but one guinea into the new coop! 😃 The last one had to be cornered in the chicken fence. I grabbed it holding the wings down and close to my body. My free hand was lightly around its neck Incase he would try to peck me. I could feel his anger radiating off of him😬 Poor thing dropped a lot of feathers in the process.
I was not thrilled if this was going to be our new daily routine. 😑

To my never ending surprise they have all allowed my kids and I to coop them every night since!
We found the most effective way to get them all inside was to focus on getting the girls in. Once the girls are in the boys will follow with every little effort on our part. I’m so happy to say the move has been successful,

Now for the best part...pictures 😁
Outside with a 3ft fence to keep them somewhat contained while cooping them up. Yes, they very easily clear the fence if they want to, but it isn’t ment to be anything more then a way to keep them from running all directions😆
View attachment 2275830
I’m hoping they will use these recycling bins as nesting boxes come fall/early spring. My chickens like them, but the guineas so far just like laying out in the tall grass.
View attachment 2275828
View attachment 2275829
The chicken wire under the roosts will be for introducing the new baby guineas. I haven’t moved them out just yet. I’m thinking they will sleep in their pen area at night, but get free roaming of the coop during the day while the adults are out. The fenced in area is 4’ x 8‘ So not all that big for keeping them in there 24/7 till they are ready for slow release.
And that’s the coop😊 Nothing special or fancy, but everyone seems happy with it😁
I'm impressed (and jealous!)

That looks great. How tall is the grain bin and can they roost high up?
Thanks!
I believe it is 20ft tall - 24ish with the middle peak. The roost bars we have inside are 7’4” high. There is a ladder that goes up to the ceiling, but for whatever reason the guineas never go on it. They don’t even sit on the highest part of their roost we made. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Our chickens love the ladder in their bin/coop.
I'm impressed (and jealous!)
Thanks! 😊

What a super cool up cycling idea!!! :clap And your chicken coop is similar? do you have a picture of the adult roost? I’m having a hard time picturing that... I guess it doesn’t get too hot where you are? Pretty sure that would be 150F in Oklahoma summers... Really great idea and implementation.

The chicken coop is an identical in size grain bin. It’s just located on the other side of the yard.
This is the chicken coop(before we added the poo-poo tarp to the roost)
BB08B375-71E7-4C98-8056-2549237A81B1.jpeg
B6386F58-2093-4E92-BACD-ABF41594174F.jpeg

This is the chickens using the ladder on the wall as a roost😆
0F404FEA-BC35-42A6-BD78-656D5C222BDD.png

The adult roost for the guineas?
This is their roost before I put the chicken wire on it for the babies to go underneath.
161B52DA-7AA6-4AC1-926D-BB0717A5B6F0.jpeg

So far the adult guineas don’t like the chicken wire and are sleeping on the floor:/ I hope they can get passed its newness and start using it again. Otherwise they will just have to wait till these guys are let out to get their roost back. Ugh.
On a better note, I did not see any pecking at the chicken wire. The adults just went about their business eating, drinking, and settling down for the night. I hope that’s a good sign!

Oh, I forgot to go over the temperature part. Haha.
Before the windows are added it gets like an oven inside! With the windows placed in a way they catch the breezes it actually stays perfectly comfortable and cool even on the hottest days.(we hit 110F with heat index this summer) lots of days in the 90’s.
Of course it helps that both bin/coops are near trees that help provide shade, keeping them cooler too.
In the winter keeping the windows down, but not shut/locked, provides airflow while keeping the heat in. And they heat up enough with the winter sun that I often go out without a coat when I spend time in the coop. For not being insulated they do work pretty well for our northern weather.

Back
Top Bottom