Movement in the shell before hatch - Question **UPDATE**

turtle1173

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
SE Missouri
Today is day 18. I have 4 Welsummer eggs from AussieSharon. Two days ago I candled and I could see movement in all 4 eggs. Tonight I candled before closing up the bator for the hatch. I have a definite two moving, one possibly and one maybe, LOL. How's that for certainty?
smile.png

My question is:... have you noticed a decrease in movement right before the hatching, an increase, or ...?

I realize something could have gone wrong with one or two of these in the past 2 days. I certainly hope not but was curious as to your experiences with seeing movement before you closed the incubator up.

Thanks,
Shane

Last edited:
I don't usually see any moving until right before they hatch, then I still don't see them all move. If I were to sit and stare at them constantly, Iprobably would see more movement. The movement is caused by them turning in the shell, usually to pip or zip.

when I stop turning my eggs on day 18 their is an increase as they are turning in the egg. Then they get quiet again. It does not happen all at the same time. Then when pipping starts they start a rocking again.

The last candling, before hatch, has always been less movement for me. The chicks have grown to almost completely fill the egg and do not have very much room for them to do alot of moving around.

On day 18 its hard for me to see anything by candling except air cell and darkness. Every once in a while I get to see a twitch near the air cell.

Now when its really close to hatching time, like on day 21, I can sometime see the egg rocking. Not every egg does it.

If you have an egg thats not smelly or weepy leave it in the incubator till at least day 23 because sometimes their just late!
thumbsup.gif

~Rebecca

Thank you for all the comments.

I originally had 9 Welsummer eggs. 5 were clear though and removed on day 14. It's obvious when they aren't developing like that.

It's always much more tricky when you are trying to see something in amongst the extreme darkness right past the air cell. So I do leave all the dark ones in. I would prefer to see some movement on my last candling (but I know I don't make the rules, LOL). Hopefully nothing went wrong and they were just being stubborn.

My temps and humidity have been good through this entire hatch. I shined a flash light in there this morning and I couldn't believe it when I saw that one of the eggs have pipped. It was one of the eggs that I saw movement in last night but that was still surprising.

Shane

Well the pip has progressed bigger as the day has gone on. I noticed a little bit ago that the pip is on the opposite side of the egg (towards the pointy end). Is this anything I should be concerned about? They are all laying on their sides, so them being upside down isn't an issue.

Aside from the pip, two of the other eggs have been "rockin" off and on. I hope to see some action from the 4th egg but so far I haven't noticed anything. It is only day 19 though.

Thanks,
Shane

Well it has been a full 24 hours since the pip. Today is day 20. I can see the little beak moving around in the hole that "SHE" has made. She's been peeping some. I think another is peeping too, as I can hear some different tones sometimes right after one peeps.

One of the other eggs has been "rockin" hard but hasn't pipped yet. Another egg has been rocking occassionally. The other one is sitting there as eggs usually do, not doing anything.
roll.png
Hopefully all is OK inside that one.

Time will tell (as it usually does)!

Shane

Back
Top Bottom