Movin on up!!

Can you turn the automatic door off for a day or two to just watch and see how they do? You may need to move some of them up onto the roosts, but you might not. They will naturally want to go in around dusk, but they might need to just be transferred over if any of them are slow to get it. Chickens can get trapped in the door if they don't know what it is they are supposed to do first, but mostly it should be instinct.
I've been running the door on "auto" for a couple weeks just to make sure it does what it is supposed to do. I plan on putting it on "manual" until they get the hang of it. Reckon low 40's is okay to put them out?

No ma'am...they are starting out brand new. I may just do this method!! My coop is 99.9% finished wit the only thing needing completion are a few small holes to cover in the run with hardware cloth. The coop is like Fort Knox so they'll be fine in there. How about the run/door introductions?
Don't worry about the run right now. Get the coop completely finished and set up (and turn off the auto door for now), and move the chicks into there first. That'll buy you a week or two to work on the run, as well as home them to the coop.

Once the run is ready, you shouldn't need to do anything more than open the door and giving the chicks the option of going out. Do not be surprised if they hesitate to go out at first.

Don't worry about the run right now. Get the coop completely finished and set up (and turn off the auto door for now), and move the chicks into there first. That'll buy you a week or two to work on the run, as well as home them to the coop.

Once the run is ready, you shouldn't need to do anything more than open the door and giving the chicks the option of going out. Do not be surprised if they hesitate to go out at first.

I finished it up 100% while they were getting acclimated to the coop today...they were getting stir crazy so I opened the pop door and let them come on out. Didn't take them long at all to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom