Movin on up!!

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
My younguns are 6 weeks old this week so it's time to get them off of my porch!! My plan is to put the outdoor playpen they have been using for a few weeks in the coop to do the introduction to their forever home...then take the top off after a day and let them come out on their own...that sound okay? Or is there something special that I need to do?

I'm not going to let them out into the run for a day or 2 then introduce them to the Omlet door and get them in their run....???

Do you have adults that they need to be integrated with?

If not, you could just put them directly in the coop. The playpen would really only be needed if there's adults and you're needing to start see but no touch.
No ma'am...they are starting out brand new. I may just do this method!! My coop is 99.9% finished wit the only thing needing completion are a few small holes to cover in the run with hardware cloth. The coop is like Fort Knox so they'll be fine in there. How about the run/door introductions?

We carried them to the coop in a box and just cut 'em loose. They took to it "like a duck to water".
I like the sound of that!! I'll probably wait until Thursday because we have a cold spell coming through with lows in the lower 40's. I think they'll be fine but I want to be sure. They have not been on heat now for 3 weeks but they have been in my sunroom so it's not completely exposed.

Can you turn the automatic door off for a day or two to just watch and see how they do? You may need to move some of them up onto the roosts, but you might not. They will naturally want to go in around dusk, but they might need to just be transferred over if any of them are slow to get it. Chickens can get trapped in the door if they don't know what it is they are supposed to do first, but mostly it should be instinct.

Back
Top Bottom