Moving 6 ducks from Texas to Nevada?

chicken mother

Songster
Mar 16, 2019
I’m driving from Texas to Nevada and want to bring my 6 ducks and I need advice on the best way to do it. It seems like my best bet is to just have them in the back of my car in some sort of dog cage or something, but are there any “hacks” or tips on the cleanest, and least smelly way to do it? I’m thinking I’m gonna have to bring quite a bit of cardboard and throwaway blankets. Any tips or advice will be helpful.
I’ve also heard people mention diapers, but my ducks are pretty flighty and I’m wanting to clean out the poop every stop so the smell doesnt build up too much (want to breathe in the least amount of poop fumes as possible lol) so I feel like I will have a hard time changing the diapers and I don’t even know how duck diapers work yet. I am definitely open to diapers though! Will have to do some research, especially if any of you recommend it.
I have 3 welsh harlequin hens, 2 silver appleyard hens, and 1 welsh harlequin drake. In case that information is of any use.

You will want to look into regulations for crossing state lines with live poultry. With avian influenza, there may be stronger restrictions. For example, California has extra restrictions and quarantines for poultry coming from states with positive cases. You will want to look at each state you are going through.

Best of luck with your move.

You will want to look into regulations for crossing state lines with live poultry. With avian influenza, there may be stronger restrictions. For example, California has extra restrictions and quarantines for poultry coming from states with positive cases. You will want to look at each state you are going through.

Best of luck with your move.
Oh goodness, I didn’t think of this. Sorry to inconvenience you further on this, but do you know how I might go about looking this up? What wording I should use, or where to get this information?

Oh goodness, I didn’t think of this. Sorry to inconvenience you further on this, but do you know how I might go about looking this up? What wording I should use, or where to get this information?
Nevada doesn't have NPIP if your currently certified in Texas, and from what I've read they don't seem to be very strict. Welcome from SW Nevada!

I'm moving a dozen chickens next month and plan on using two dog kennels, feed and water in with them, cardboard underneath. I'm not going to try to feed that many at a stop because I also have a kid to deal with but plan on it being messy. I've done it often though not this many and I always have food and water in but its what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom