Moving a broody hen

PirateFarmer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
I've searched and couldn't find anything on this...I've got 3 broody hens; I tried to move two of them off of the egg nests into a separate pen, locking them in individual nests for two days, but they abandoned ship as soon as I let them out & wouldn't set, so I turned them back into the flock & sent the eggs into the dog bowls. The hens then immediately went BACK to their original nests and each has 6 eggs dating from 4/8 - 4/11. The nests are 1 1/2 ft. off of the ground, and I want to move them to the maternity ward...how? I moved them originally just before dark (had no working flashlight at the time, but do now). Also, as this is my first effort at it, I'm a bit unsure: will the hen(s) sit on nest 'til they're all pretty much hatched on different days, all will hatch at once, or...? Can two of the hens (they're Auburn Sumatras & not very large) fit into a 4' x 10' pen w/ their chicks without stress or killing the other's chicks? I'm off-grid, so haven't candled the eggs, so not sure how many are good; this is just an experiment in growing out the chicks from the hens.

I had two hens that had separate hatches, which joined into a family when I put them together. I think a big factor of if they will be ok or not is how did the hens get a long before? Also I wouldn't bother moving them unless you really need to. I used to separate broodies but I just find it easier leaving them were ever they go broody now. They are perfectly fine sitting in the main coop. If you do want to risk moving them again, do it at night, make sure the nest is really cosy and make it so its kind of dark when they wake up (they prefer a darker place to sit). That's all the advice I can really give you on moving them since I have only done it twice and both times were successful.

Hey, Johnn! Were yours off the floor? My main worry is that the nests are up off the floor and the chicks falling out, even though there's a wood slate rail across the front...

Hey, Johnn! Were yours off the floor? My main worry is that the nests are up off the floor and the chicks falling out, even though there's a wood slate rail across the front...
Hi! and my chick did fall out the nest box!, but that's because there was nothing to stop it, so it was my mistake. The chick was unharmed though! If it really worries you then when its hatch day why not put some chicken wire up on the front of the nest box?

Back
Top Bottom