Moving a Broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MacGuyver, May 29, 2012.

1. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Songster

May 22, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have a bantam cochin sitting on some eggs that are due to hatch on Friday. I really want to move her to a better place for her brood. Think I can do that, or will she simply freak out?

2. Impress

Impress Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I always move them earlier in the incubation period, but I think if you do it at night and make sure where you move her still has the right feel (private, safe) then she SHOULD be fine. I had to move my Speckled Sussex girl 3 times as I was working one Mama with chicks out of the broody house and she is still setting pretty.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    From my experience it's best to wait until after the eggs hatched before you move them. She may freak out and refuse to sit and then you've lost your batch... Only 2 more days. Rather wait.

4. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Songster

May 22, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Well, she's pretty safe where she is. I can move them after I guess. I really just wanted to change the water / feed situation and it's easier in another spot.

5. Remudamom

Remudamom Songster

I think it depends on the hen. I've got a broody I could probably move every day and she wouldn't mind at all. Not advisable, just saying some are laid back and some freak out.

6. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chirping

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yesss!!! wait until they all hatch to move them!! i tried moving a broody and she stopped setting and refused to hatch the chicks!!! leave her where she is and keep an eye on her progress but dont move her!!!

7. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Songster

May 22, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Look![​IMG]

8. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Songster

May 22, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

And look at this! Just on schedule her sister is going broody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: