Moving a Nest

I would build a wooden structure around it. Feed her some duck food (or even birdseed) and keep her distracted. Have someone else put the nest in the box. It'd be best if it has a bottom I think.

Maybe just some hardware wire or chicken wire around it with a wooden base. I would make it large so she dosn't feel trapped. Could you send a picture?

I’m in the UK and things are very different here RE: birds, mallards especially - it’s actually legal to take wild mallard eggs and incubate them so long as you release them when they’re adult by the 31st of July of the year you take the eggs unless the adults are disabled somehow. I also rehab wildlife and I generally have a few ducklings orphaned by cars and dogs come in every year so the actual care and legality isn’t an issue, just wondering if anyone’s been able to successfully move a duck nest before as there’s no point in me trying to help if there’s a good chance I’ll make things worse lol. Just wanna keep her safe from mr fox, I would love to not have to build a whole coop around her but if that’s what’ll work, that’s what I’ll do.

I’m in the UK and things are very different here RE: birds, mallards especially - it’s actually legal to take wild mallard eggs and incubate them so long as you release them when they’re adult by the 31st of July of the year you take the eggs unless the adults are disabled somehow. I also rehab wildlife and I generally have a few ducklings orphaned by cars and dogs come in every year so the actual care and legality isn’t an issue, just wondering if anyone’s been able to successfully move a duck nest before as there’s no point in me trying to help if there’s a good chance I’ll make things worse lol. Just wanna keep her safe from mr fox, I would love to not have to build a whole coop around her but if that’s what’ll work, that’s what I’ll do.
Oh ok! I would just keep it in the same spot with sort of a pen around it. I would just put up chicken wire all around it, with a top and bottom.
Seeing as you're an animal rescuer, do you know if I could foster wild ducklings from one? I know things are different here in the U.S. but I've been wanting to do that for a while. Any tips?

Ok, i just made this on pwp
1589417433477.png

Lol, it looks bad but maybe you could do withing like this by sticking some wood posts in thee ground around it, attach some hardware wire or chicken wire around it with some on top too. You may have to make it go down deeper so the fox cant dig through. Then, if you made one section of the wire that you could un-attach, you could open that during the day for her.

Back
Top Bottom