Moving a problem?

HuevosModesto

Chirping
Aug 21, 2018
My family and I are in escrow on a new house, and so the issue. First, some background: We’ve had 3 chickens (in a flock of 7) fall ill with lethargy, loss of balance, and loss of appetite. Corid did not bring the last hen back. So, if I move my existing flock, am I asking for trouble? Contaminating the new soil with an existing problem? What would you do?

If I didn't know what caused the symptoms, I would hesitate to move the rest of the flock to a place they could possibly get it too. Good luck!

I'm not really sure what you concern is here. What are you going to do with the flock if you don't take them? Leave them where they are? Do the new owners want them? Do they know how to take care of chickens? Or are you going to kill the chickens before you move? Are you planning to give them to someone else?
Frankly, if all that was wrong with the birds was coccidiosis, there is no reason not to take them, unless you just don't want them anymore. Coccidia are everywhere, and you do risk them being exposed to a new strain in the new house, but you can treat them again if needed. If you are worried that they will bring some unknown disease to the new house, they would take that (if they had it) anywhere they go, so to avoid spreading unknown disease, you would need to cull them, really. It wouldn't be fair to any new owner to pass that on. If the remaining birds are healthy, why not take them? If they are not healthy, best to cull them.

My concern is, if I have birds contaminating the soil, will I be bringing my existing problem to a new house/soil? My only real option would be to cull, but we definitely want the birds (and I don’t want to kill unnecessarily).

My concern is, if I have birds contaminating the soil, will I be bringing my existing problem to a new house/soil?
If coccidiosis was your problem, and the birds have recovered, they have built a resistance to that strain of coccidia. So, yes, they may bring that coccidia with them, but it shouldn't cause them any problems, as they should already be resistant to it. My advice would be to take them with you. You may find, however, that there is a different strain of coccidia already on your new property, so if the birds show symptoms of coccidia again, treat them promptly.

A lot of things can cause birds to die. Genetic malfunction of organs, especially the heart. If that is the case, and you did say the medicine did no good, well I would assume that the ones that are still alive are good to go.

I have had chickens that died rather unexpectedly to me about that age. What an old chicken lady told me, that when they are smaller, they can manage with a heart ailment, but as they get full size, then the malfunction impairs their health.

Don't fret it. Chickens do die, and sometimes we don't know why they do so. It is sad, but does make room for new chickens.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom