Moving.... big dilemma with the chickens... =(

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
Okay so now we are on 75 acres and renting. We want to move in the next few months. We've been looking at houses like crazy but can't find ANYTHING we like in our price range. We have 4 kids so need a big enough house and at the same time I want something with a couple acres for the chickens (I don't mind parting with the goats and cows but I would be devastated to part w. the chickens). We have found a super nice HUGE house on a full finished basement in a very nice area only problem is it is in a subdivision and chickens are not aloud in the city. (which is RIDICULOUS IMO that you can have barking dogs but not a few hens in a coop in your own backyard
somad.gif
)
So here is my ingenious idea: what if we design a super nice INDOOR coop (you know how people have reptiles, ferrets, parrots, etc) for the chickens (I'd only keep 4-5 hens) and we keep them in the basement. I'll make it so they obviously can't poop on the carpet... and we'll have a trey to collect the poop and use it for compost for the garden) We'll get a privacy fence for the backyard and make a little outdoor pen for them to spend some outdoor time but we'll have the basement coop so no one can say anything because they can't come in our house and take our animals. Right?? Does this sound insane or is it a good idea??? Any input or suggestions is appreciated thanks!

Since you're not already there, it's an insane idea! You would be moving in and bringing chickens even though you know in advance that they aren't allowed.

PLUS you'd be keeping chickens in the basement and sneaking them out back whenever you can get away with it. Basement doesn't do the chickens any good, and the dust would REALLY not do your house any good. Poop is the least of the problems with house chickens.

Strongly suggest you keep looking. You have my sympathy. I love chickens, too, and I tried to do without them. I'm really glad to find that the city does allow them and I can get back in.

And subdivisions are a headache to live in anyway.

Last edited:
I've thought about keeping the chickens in the basement so they could get a break from the cold. But really, I think it's a crazy idea to have hens in the house. I bet if your patient, the right house will turn up. It took us a year to find the right one but we found it after quite an extensive search and we couldn't be happier!
wink.png

*sigh* yeah yall are right. I feel like I am starting to get desperate. I hate subdivisions also, we used to live in one and so glad we're not in one anymore. I like my privacy and freedom. I am just getting SO frustrated that we can't find the right house.
hmm.png

Any chance of buying the place you're in now......if you like it well enough, and if it's for sale, etc? 75 acres is hard to come by, you would be lucky to get it! Can always build another house on it later or add on to the current one when you can. Or build another and rent out the one you're living in now! The possibilities are endless!

Do not move stay where you are till you find a good place. We are on 4.6 acres which is big enough for chickens,goats and cows. Just keep looking you will find something where you will not have to compirmise.

we had our 8 week olds in the basement . they were a surprise gift and we had no coop at the time.. let me tell you about dust and the heat ing system... not a good combo.. and they really do start to smell.. well not really stinky.. just chickeny.. they were cleaned everyday too.. the grandkids loved it but us? not so much

31142_coop_016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom