Moving broody hen?

Was middle of winter...'proper earth' was not even available under feet of snow.
I can appreciate that. Even here I had problems finding earth that didn't dry out as soon as I transfered it to a nest box.
I like your nest boxes. Good design. Having a hole rather than an open front with a lip must help to keep the bedding in when the hens scratch out a nest.

Thank you both for the information. I’m not completely certain if she will go broody, but I’m hoping on it. I don’t have the supplies to make a entire new nest box out of wood, nor do I have a space in the run I can actually wire off at the moment. But I will try and make something that can be used to the same effect of what you’ve mentioned to ensure the survival of chicks and comfort of the hen. Also, have either of you had experience in keeping silkies? I was thinking about getting them, because I think they look beautiful. But, I’ve heard they are hard to maintain because of all that fluff. Also, I’m not sure if they’d make it well, I live in an area that can have hot summers(100 degrees.) and can have cold winters. (-10 below.) not all that common. But it can happen.
Sorry. I've never kept Silkies.

I like your nest boxes. Good design. Having a hole rather than an open front with a lip must help to keep the bedding in when the hens scratch out a nest.
Thanks! My main nests have the round entrances too. Was emulating the round holed metal nests, mostly because they appeal to me aesthetically, but they are also highly functional for keeping bedding and eggs inside as well as creating a 'cosy' and thus 'safe' nest. One of the few instances where form compliments function.
full

Sorry. I've never kept Silkies.
Nor have I.

Back
Top Bottom