Moving broody hen?

Why do you want to move her?
Are the other chickens showing any signs of bothering her?
Most of the hens here sit on their clutches of eggs in normal coops and can come and go as they please.
It’s the nest boxes. They’re built in from a commercially bought hen house. I’ve heard that makes it more difficult for them to hatch eggs in. Something about their legs not laying right when sitting.

It’s the nest boxes. They’re built in from a commercially bought hen house. I’ve heard that makes it more difficult for them to hatch eggs in. Something about their legs not laying right when sitting.
Yes, this can be a problem. The end picture is an illustration of what I think you are talking about.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...e-make-a-sitting-hens-job-so-difficult.74389/
However, a thick enough straw base in which the hen can make a hollow should alleviate this problem.
I would be inclined to make a front to the nest bos which is high enough to contain a pad of straw say 4 inches deep.

Never heard of that.
Post some pics?
I’m probably just explaining what it looks like really terribly. Lol Here’s the only picture I have at the moment, I can get better pictures later if you’d like me to.
upload_2019-2-19_9-48-49.jpeg

I’m probably just explaining what it looks like really terribly. Lol Here’s the only picture I have at the moment, I can get better pictures later if you’d like me to. View attachment 1678332
Yep, the picture helps.:)
I would do as mentioned above and put a front on the front of the nest box so your hen can make a proper nest.

Next best job to proper earth.:clap
This is what I use for a broody nest...14"W x 16"D x 16"T.
4'x6' section of coop wired off.
full
Thank you both for the information. I’m not completely certain if she will go broody, but I’m hoping on it. I don’t have the supplies to make a entire new nest box out of wood, nor do I have a space in the run I can actually wire off at the moment. But I will try and make something that can be used to the same effect of what you’ve mentioned to ensure the survival of chicks and comfort of the hen. Also, have either of you had experience in keeping silkies? I was thinking about getting them, because I think they look beautiful. But, I’ve heard they are hard to maintain because of all that fluff. Also, I’m not sure if they’d make it well, I live in an area that can have hot summers(100 degrees.) and can have cold winters. (-10 below.) not all that common. But it can happen.

Back
Top Bottom