Moving Budgies

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by 19761, Dec 23, 2008.

1. 19761

19761 New Egg

Dec 13, 2008
    Illinois
    I have a budgie for about 2 years now and i just got 3 more from a friend who couldnt take care of them anymore. They have been together most of there lives and i was wondering what would be the best way to transfer MY budgie in with the rest. can you please help me?

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Maybe if you put thier cages beside each other for a while they can get use to each other. Then when you finally move yours in they will already be friends.

3. 19761

19761 New Egg

Dec 13, 2008
    Illinois
    thats what i did last night. do you know how long to leave them by each other before introducing them to the same cage? thx

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

It took nearly a month to introduce my new chickens to the year olds. Not sure if it will take the budgies as long.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Are they all males? If so, a couple of days should be fine. If it is males and females...wait longer. Girls are mean.

6. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    I think they all are different as to how long it will take to introduce them. I had one a couple of years ago and decided to get more we put them all together after a couple of days with no problems. But I have a huge cage. I converted an old rabbit hutch into a bird cage and all my birds are in there together the budgies and cockiteals.

7. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Putting their cages next to each other is an excellent idea, they will call to each other through the cage bars. I would give them a couple of days, then introduce the birds together. Just make sure you have enough perches in the cage so they won't feel crowded.

Also a good time to do it would be right before you feed them.

The way to tell if they are male or female is to look at the color of their cere. That is the part right above the beak that looks like nostrils. If it is pale to dark blue they are males, if light tan to brown they are hens. Males usually don't squabble much with each other unless there is a hen or two in the cage with them.

Hens can be very viscious at times, they have a tendency to hold on like a pit bull when they bite. Males will just make a pinching bite and release, but they will do it repeatedly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by