moving chickens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TreyClark281, May 10, 2008.

1. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ok i have 2 chickens but only one is making the move to tulsa from houston which is around a nine hour drive.
    the chicken (if it goes) has to be in the bed of the tuck. is that going to put alot of stress on it. i am going to have food and water of course but could it make it all the way there.
    what should i do to keep it calm on the trip(which is about 2- 2 1/2 wks ahead)

thank

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It would certainly be better to take two so they have each other as company. You obviously have a reason that you are only taking one? Is it going to be alone in Houston?

I don't have personal experience in moving chickens but this is what I've learned...

Put them in a secure, covered container (a cardboard box, dog kennel covered with a blanket, etc.). Make it big enough they can comfortably turn around, you don't want them jammed in there, but you don't want it too large either. Put some bedding down to give them a good footing, maybe even a blanket - you don't want them sliding around.

I wouldn't put water in with them but would stop a couple of times on the way and offer it to them. It would just splash around and make their bedding wet. I don't know about putting food in there but would think you could just wait on that until you get there.

Someone can set me straight on all this if I'm wrong.

Hope it all goes well.

3. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ok thanks that seems logical. well i have 2 one is a meat bird and the other is an americauna but the meat bird is staying if you know what i mean.

any more advice would be great. i need all of it.
    now i might be able to get another chicken before i move to OK.lol

4. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    I recently moved my flock of 34 from south west Oklahoma to south central Kansas (November). They travled in wire cages 2 to cage on the back of a flat bed trailer. We make shifted some sides on the trailer with hog panels and then we put tarps over the top of the panels. They travled well and the next day the hens even layed eggs. I am sure your chicken will be fine but it would be best if you can get a buddy for the trip. HTH.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I agree with the companion for company. One needs to remember that chickens are a flock breed and they love to have company once the pecking order is figured out.

bigzio

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Many people put a big chunk of melon in for the trip. It's sort of food and water, but doesn't spill.

7. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    oh now i really think she can make it lol. ill try to melon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by