Moving chicks outdoors

Cooper Gs Coop

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
Central New York
Right now near Syracuse NY our temps are roughly 50-55 during day 35-40 at night. I have 6 chicks at 6 weeks old and 6 at 4 weeks old. I do not want to put them outside at different times, I want everyone new to the coop together. Would it be ok to move them outside this coming weekend? My younger chicks will be closer to 5 weeks at that point. We had them outside yesterday in the sun at about 55 degree temps for the afternoon and they were fine. I'm getting anxious to move them outdoors because 1. Our house is getting covered in dust and downy feathers. We had them in a spare bedroom but now they're setup is in the basement. 2. I'm excited to see how they like the coop lol. It was a lot of hard work. 3. It gives our 3 daughters a reason to go outdoors instead of watching tv or playing on tablets. I do not have electric running to the coop yet, only an extension cord so I'm not going to chance leaving that plugged into a heat light for them. Thank you everyone for all the feedback we receive on here. It is so helpful.

Keep up the day field trips and they'll be acclimatized enough to move into the coop and run by next weekend.

No heat should be required when you move them.

Last edited:
Yes..do it! I just moved all my 19 4-5 week Olds out in the yard with the adults and the 2 week Olds out into the baby run. Everyone is outside. Yay! Next is getting the juveniles to roost with the adults at night.

I'm in Florida. Right now we have highs in the 80's and lows in the 50's. We are getting a cold snap this weekend with lows in the 40's and high of 70. A little warmer than you.

Back
Top Bottom