Moving chicks outside?

Bluebell78

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
Hello all!

I have 9 chicks we purchased on 4/9, we live in South Jersey. I am thinking some of them may be older than I was told as they are already pretty feathered out and when I open the top of the brooder they fly out to sit on the ledge. Should I bring them outside into the coop? We have a fairly large coop and a 200 square foot run that they have been enjoying time in during the day when the temps have been above 70. The other chicks are not fully feathered and are a lot smaller. Is separating them alright for a couple weeks until the others feather out or do I need to purchase a new brooder for them all for the next two weeks? I attached a pic so you could see the difference in size and feathering. They are in a 2x4x2 tub now.
0151F641-DA91-475B-9896-BEAAC45BD6D0.jpeg

Hello all!

I have 9 chicks we purchased on 4/9, we live in South Jersey. I am thinking some of them may be older than I was told as they are already pretty feathered out and when I open the top of the brooder they fly out to sit on the ledge. Should I bring them outside into the coop? We have a fairly large coop and a 200 square foot run that they have been enjoying time in during the day when the temps have been above 70. The other chicks are not fully feathered and are a lot smaller. Is separating them alright for a couple weeks until the others feather out or do I need to purchase a new brooder for them all for the next two weeks? I attached a pic so you could see the difference in size and feathering. They are in a 2x4x2 tub now.
View attachment 2653142
Maybe move the bigger chicks outside and move the smaller ones out a week later?

That’s what I was thinking I wonder if that would be ok? This is my first time raising chicks and I don’t know if they will act weird being integrated later on in a couple weeks.

Hi! I’m so sorry I just saw your reply! They are doing great! My one chick a salmon favorelle is the only one who won’t go in the coop by herself at night. She chirps very loudly and goes up the ramp then comes back down and chirps again by the pen door! I think she waits for someone to put her in, I am hoping with time she gets it!

Attachments

• 16A22794-79A4-449D-B303-78C16A8B91EB.jpeg
    16A22794-79A4-449D-B303-78C16A8B91EB.jpeg
    923.1 KB · Views: 32
Hi! I’m so sorry I just saw your reply! They are doing great! My one chick a salmon favorelle is the only one who won’t go in the coop by herself at night. She chirps very loudly and goes up the ramp then comes back down and chirps again by the pen door! I think she waits for someone to put her in, I am hoping with time she gets it!
Awww, your coop is so cute and all the chicks look so healthy! Good luck to you and your flock 🐥 ❤️

Back
Top Bottom