Moving chicks outside?

LD Jackson

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Roland, OK
Okay, here's a question for the experts. I have 25 chicks, which are made up of Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, and Barred Rock. The youngest of them is just under a week old. We have to be gone most of the day tomorrow and I am not excited about leaving them in their brooder, which is a plastic tub, with the light on and no one there to check on the. I have thought about moving them to a small portion of the coop they will be living in and letting them stay out there, possibly even tonight. It is supposed to be 56° tonight and 84°, with no rain in the forecast. One end of the coop is covered in wire, which would allow a breeze to flow through. I could hang my brooder light out there, but I am not sure that would be necessary. Thoughts anyone?

I'm sorry this reply may not help you much, being so late.

I would say sure go for it, if it weren't for one thing, the end of the coop that is only covered in wire. Drafts can cause a chill and lead to chick death.

If it weren't for that I'd say they'd be fine in the coop with a brooder lamp.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, actually. The chicks are inside tonight, but may be moved outside in the morning. The draft of air can easily be corrected by blocking off the end with plastic.

Back
Top Bottom