Moving chicks-Timeline

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
Hello-
I am trying to plan out how/when to move my (only week old) chicks to their eventual outside homes (from my bathroom-DH gettin impatient!). I've gathered quite a bit of info, but was wondering if there is a good timelline somewhere to use as a reference. You know, "at two weeks, their temp should be held at blank", "at 5 weeks, move them outside" etc. I know there arevariations depending on location,weather etc, but it would be a nice general outline.

Any suggestions?

at one week they need 90-95 degrees. Drop by 5 degrees a week. They can go outside with a heat lamp at about 4-6 weeks if they have a heat lamp on cold nights. The rule of thumb is that they are ready for about any weather when they are fully feathered out. Use you best judgement and you should be ok.. Good Luck

Desertgirl,
If you follow the guideline of 90 to 95 degrees the first week, dropping by 5 degrees a week they should be ready to be without their heat lamp at 70 degrees (@the end of the 5th week). The only variation from that would be if you had a bad cold spell come thru or it was really damp from lots of rain. Where you'd likely run into trouble is keeping them overwarm under their lights and then suddenly turning them off.
My chicks did fine with turning their heat lamp off at night when they were 5 1/2 weeks old. It had been off during the day from 4 weeks on, except on rainy days. They were living in a draft free spot on our screened porch at the time.

Good advice, as usual. I am planning on moving them from the bathroom to the guestroom (with a tarp on the floor!!!!), and will follow the decreasing temperature plan. One more question-Storey's Guide says to turn off the light for a half an hour each day to acclimate them to thhe light not being on. Do you do this? The temp couldeasily fall to 75 degrees...that won't hurt them,will it?

I think they would be fine with doing that, as long as you keep an eye on them. Remember Mama Hen takes her chicks out at a couple of days old, no matter what the calender says. When they start getting chilled, they seek the warmth of being under her wings again.

Quote:
what is a cold night I live in the great state of Texas.... its been 90 in the day and 30 that evening....my birds are fully feathered but the temp swing makes me sick ( I work outside)???? Is there an acclamation process?

Well, the girls have been moved into the guest room. Cleaned everything adjusted the light and they are hanging out in there in about 85 degrees. I am going to put some ACV in their water, and see if they would enjoy a little bit of oats. Chicken life is good!

I suppose I'll just keep the in there until they get feathered (about 5 weeks) and then move them into the coop (which will hopefully done by then!!).

I transition at 3 weeks if its warm outside, their still in a cardboard box brooder in the coop, and their light will keep them at at least 70 at night- it'll get above that in the day from the sun.

If its still in the 30's at night I wait until closer to 5 weeks and still send them out with the brooder lamp.

Its temperatures you're measuring by. They need to be warm enough or it'll stunt their development.

scooterbum, i'm about 70 miles north of you and i've just been leaving a light on. It's not for warmth i just have spoiled girls. lol

Anybody turn off the light for a half hour like Storey's suggests?
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom