Moving chicks to coop questions

I worry about sudden, unexpected weather - like short but heavy rainstorms. But yes, they seem to be pretty comfortable in the weather outside.
If it's a short rainstorm, and they stay dry, they will certainly be fine.
Even if it lasts for several days, they will probably be fine if they stay dry.

At any age, chicks can huddle up and make it through a short time at a slightly lower temperature.

The older they get, the less it bothers them, so they do fine with larger temperature swings for longer stretches.

Okay, I have two more questions.
1). Do they all tend to groom before they settle down to nap? I notice they will all start to groom themselves at the same time - just curious.
2). Can chicks overeat? I leave feed out all day, give them fresh water each day and they get treats twice a day. In the mornings, I give them mash from my hand (just feed and water) so they will get more and more comfortable with me. But they eat more than I expected. It explains why they seem to double in size each day - okay, almost.

2). Can chicks overeat? I leave feed out all day, give them fresh water each day and they get treats twice a day. In the mornings, I give them mash from my hand (just feed and water) so they will get more and more comfortable with me. But they eat more than I expected. It explains why they seem to double in size each day - okay, almost.
Free-choice food and water, and as much mash (wet food) as they want, should be fine.
Almost all chickens are good at self-regulating.
(And of course when you make the feed into a wet mash, it swells up, so it looks like they are eating "more" than if they ate it dry and then drank water.)

The only sort-of exception is Cornish Cross meat chickens. They need their food restricted a bit to keep them from growing too fast for their legs to support them. I've read of various strategies for limiting their food, such as providing feed for 12 hours in the daytime, then taking it away for 12 hours of nighttime.

Most other meat chickens can safely self-regulate, and any of the dual purpose chickens, layer types, and bantams should certainly be fine. (Cornish Cross would be white, and round like a bowling ball. There are no Cornish Cross in your pictures.)

Free-choice food and water, and as much mash (wet food) as they want, should be fine.
Almost all chickens are good at self-regulating.
(And of course when you make the feed into a wet mash, it swells up, so it looks like they are eating "more" than if they ate it dry and then drank water.)

The only sort-of exception is Cornish Cross meat chickens. They need their food restricted a bit to keep them from growing too fast for their legs to support them. I've read of various strategies for limiting their food, such as providing feed for 12 hours in the daytime, then taking it away for 12 hours of nighttime.

Most other meat chickens can safely self-regulate, and any of the dual purpose chickens, layer types, and bantams should certainly be fine. (Cornish Cross would be white, and round like a bowling ball. There are no Cornish Cross in your pictures.)
No, I may try meat birds later but for my first attempt, I went for layers.

Agree with NatJ on feeding. As far as grooming, it's a social activity, so birds like to stand/sit around and groom at the same time. Mine have preferred spots and even times for this and most of the birds will gather up loosely in one of those locations at those times and then begin preening.

My almost 5 week old chicks are in their coop and loving it. They still huddle around in the corner at night, but most of the time during the day - they are in and out of the coop. They are also roosting a lot during the day.
What kind of chicken cam do you have ?

Back
Top Bottom