Moving chicks to coop questions

I have two coops. This is the one we’ll use for these 7 girls. The second one is smaller and will be used for bantams at a later time. There are two dog runs - one attached to each coop, with a door between the two.

Attachments

• 12C0BCC6-DCFE-43DD-ABC4-D1FE4F9F62CC.jpeg
    12C0BCC6-DCFE-43DD-ABC4-D1FE4F9F62CC.jpeg
    926.7 KB · Views: 14
Are there nest boxes on both sides? I remember you posting this coop now
There are nest boxes on one side and there are three roosting bars on the other side.

Attachments

• 04B21FCC-3664-45E3-B905-6C0838F6BF85.jpeg
    04B21FCC-3664-45E3-B905-6C0838F6BF85.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 13
  • D4CB92C6-966D-4762-8C29-E46C5700ACF6.jpeg
    D4CB92C6-966D-4762-8C29-E46C5700ACF6.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 10
  • AE05AAAE-9423-47D2-B476-0DAF346B3238.jpeg
    AE05AAAE-9423-47D2-B476-0DAF346B3238.jpeg
    768.3 KB · Views: 12
1. With your temperatures they can move out permanently, now. Them not using their heat source is the most obvious hint that they're ready. I'd also do away with the pen pretty soon... it's not a bad idea to gradually introduce them to their settings but at 4 weeks they can handle more space. I let 2 week olds have full coop/run access (525 sq ft) and have never seen a chick get "lost."

3. Most chickens enjoy roly-pollies. Just leave them be, if they want to eat them, they will. Do make sure they have access to grit or stones suitable to serve as grit.

4. Multiple ways to do this, it's really up to you and the types of birds you have: a) never switch them at all, they can eat unmedicated starter, grower or all flock their entire lives (optimal if you have males, mixed ages, low production birds) b) switch them over once the flock begins laying or c) switch them over according to directions on the bag, usually 16-18 weeks (I'd only do this if you have all high production birds).

5. Some brooded chicks figure out rain better than others. Might want to check on them the next time it rains to see what they do. Mine are raised outdoors rain or shine so I don't sweat it, I figure they'll figure things out if I leave it up to them.

1. With your temperatures they can move out permanently, now. Them not using their heat source is the most obvious hint that they're ready. I'd also do away with the pen pretty soon... it's not a bad idea to gradually introduce them to their settings but at 4 weeks they can handle more space. I let 2 week olds have full coop/run access (525 sq ft) and have never seen a chick get "lost."

3. Most chickens enjoy roly-pollies. Just leave them be, if they want to eat them, they will. Do make sure they have access to grit or stones suitable to serve as grit.

4. Multiple ways to do this, it's really up to you and the types of birds you have: a) never switch them at all, they can eat unmedicated starter, grower or all flock their entire lives (optimal if you have males, mixed ages, low production birds) b) switch them over once the flock begins laying or c) switch them over according to directions on the bag, usually 16-18 weeks (I'd only do this if you have all high production birds).

5. Some brooded chicks figure out rain better than others. Might want to check on them the next time it rains to see what they do. Mine are raised outdoors rain or shine so I don't sweat it, I figure they'll figure things out if I leave it up to them.
I have a tendency to overthink things and I just don’t want things to go wrong. I lost one girl in the first few days and I just want the remaining girls to stay healthy and happy. So far, they do seem to be doing really well.

They no longer sleep under the heater

The temps here are between 70 and high 80’s

When the outdoor low temperature matches the temperature they are living at now, they can go outside, no matter how many or few feathers they have.

So if they are in a 70 degree house, not using supplemental heat, and the outdoor temperature stays above 70, they will be fine.

When the outdoor low temperature matches the temperature they are living at now, they can go outside, no matter how many or few feathers they have.

So if they are in a 70 degree house, not using supplemental heat, and the outdoor temperature stays above 70, they will be fine.
I worry about sudden, unexpected weather - like short but heavy rainstorms. But yes, they seem to be pretty comfortable in the weather outside.

Back
Top Bottom