1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving chicks to the coop(dumb question alert)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dragonchick, Nov 7, 2007.

1. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Whats the best way to move the chicks from the brooder to the outside coop? I will try to do this on the warmest day/morning but it will still be cold. Do I just carry them out one at a time or roust DH out of bed to help carry the large dog crate full of 5 week old chicks? There are 27 good sized chicks. There will be a light for heat but the trip will be about 100ft and hopefully no wind. If wind I could cover the crate.
    Andi

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have 8 Chicks I just picked them up put them in a bucket and put the bucket in the coop. Dont stress as long as the trip is only 100 feet any way how cold is it during the day there? (no such thing as a dumb question)

Henry

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always use a large plastic bin with a lid .....I made a wire top insert on the lid....just cover them in a bucket a few at a time....put an old towel across it...

I hope its a heat lamp you have for 5 week old chicks...they won't be fully feathered yet.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by