Moving flock into a larger coop and have questions.

Benelli

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
I'm in the process of building a bigger coop and run. I want to move my existing flock of 7 to the larger coop and use the smaller one for three, 12 week old pullets. I plan on keeping the coops about 400 feet apart. Is it best to move the existing flock at night into their new coop and keep them locked up a few days? I'm not worried about moving the pullets into the old coop. Just the older ones. If I let the existing flock free range after being in their new coop for a week, will they return to their new coop or will they try to get into their old one?

I think it's a toss-up.
They might... they might not.

When I move my birds to a new coop, I just let that coop door stay open for the first couple days, so when they start wandering toward their old coop or pacing in front of the door, I can just herd them into the new one. Usually takes 2 nights before they get over it, more stubborn ones take 3 or 4 nights.

I used to try locking them in for a few days first, but I don't think it made a difference, as soon as they wen't out for the day they headed to their old coop at night. So a couple of days of going home to the new coop and they get the hang of it.

I'll have a long walk to scoot them back to the new coop if they do that. Let's hope not. Thanks for the response.

well.. 400 feet is kind of a long way I suppose...
so maybe if you only let them out for a couple of hours at first just before dusk, they won't get the chance to travel that far. It's not like I think they'll get out of the new coop and head straight for the old one, I'm sure they won't. But if they don't have a chance to wander that far, eating the grass, scratching & perhaps eating scratch too perhaps it'll work perfectly. I'm sure after they put themselves to bed in the right place for a couple of nights, you won't have to worry after that and could then go back to all day or whatever your regular routine is.
fl.gif
for ya
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom