moving from brooder to coop

usurp1

Hatching
Mar 20, 2015
I plan to move my girls outside tomorrow, any suggestions/tricks to keep them comfy? I know a new home will be scary for them at first. I plan to keep them in just the coop for a week before allowing them into the run. Thanks in advance!

When we first moved our chicks to their outside coop, we put a heat lamp and plenty of bedding to keep them warm. We allowed them in the run anytime it was warm outside, however we did have to put them back in at night the first couple weeks. Answering your questions will depend on the weather where you live and the age of your chicks.

They are 5 weeks old and im in eastern pa...shouldnt get into the freezing temps at night anymore (hopefully)

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm is SC and our nighttime temps are in the 60s so I think a lamp in the coop at night should keep them warm enough. I really want to give my 4 girls more room as they look cramped in the brooder! Plus that frees the brooder up for a couple more little ones for the new hatchlings arriving later this week at the local feed store.

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm is SC and our nighttime temps are in the 60s so I think a lamp in the coop at night should keep them warm enough. I really want to give my 4 girls more room as they look cramped in the brooder! Plus that frees the brooder up for a couple more little ones for the new hatchlings arriving later this week at the local feed store.
Night time in the 60's WOW we are just getting that in the daylight...
roll.png

I put a heat lamp because it was in the upper 30's..

Back
Top Bottom