Moving from Brooder to Coop

Ratherbwarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Strafford, NH
I'm new to this and just want to make sure these babes will be ok if I move them from the brooder to the coop this weekend. I'll still have the heatlamp on for them, it's still in the 40's at night and around 70-80's during the day. Do they look to have enough feathers yet? They are about 6 weeks old.

I was the same way I kept mine in the house till 8 weeks and that was way to long. It was below freezing at night when I moved mine out and they were completely fine. When one flew into my dinning room I was like ok I'm a nut the chickens need to go outside.

I moved my 8 in to the coop last night. I did put the heat lamp in there because they are only 3 weeks old. They loved all the extra room. When I went out this morning they were all doing great. I live in Maine

I did and they LOVE it! I've got two cockerels that I thought would give me a hard time picking on the girls, but one turned out to be great in the bigger space and the other one may go back into the brooder because he's being a bully. Here are some picks...and of course their protector made sure they were safe and followed be back and forth with each chick from the barn to the coop. Then sat at the door for a good hour checking on them. I think he was the most excited when we came out the next morning to see them and they all came up to him in the run to great him. Lol silly pup!

How cool! And your dog what a cutie lol! My chicks are almost 5 weeks i still bring them in at night ive been worried about temps since we are still having 40/50 nights here. Ater seeing this thread i feel much more comfortable to move them out to there coop! What is the temp in your coop with the heat lamp?

Mine are 5 and 8 weeks old and are doing great in the coop. I leave the coop door open during the day and they come and go as they please. I do not have a heat lamp in there now...I did the first week and then switched to a regular light bulb. The younger ones have been out there for two weeks. It's been 30's and 40's in the morning here and they still come out of the coop...we did put a couple old house shutters around the bottom for wind protection. Good luck!
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom