Moving from CA to IN

Thanks to everyone who's replied. I have given this a lot of thought but still cant fine anything on how to move them if that's what we decide to do. Has anyone taken chickens on a multi-day trip?

You know when we started raising chickens my bil brought our first batch from CO. They were in an old fashion chicken crate. I would just make sure that they are watered and feed and just go with that.

When we moved from CA to KY in 1979(I was 14) we had my dog and a parakeet in the car with us. This was the year they were repaving I-40 or whatever hwy it is coming out of southern CA. and the traffic was stopped for 2 hrs in the middle of the desert. I was walking the dog on the side of the road and we had the parakeet cage sitting on the road on the shady side of the car til we were able to start going again. If we could get a parakeet here alive in the middle of Summer...you probably won't have a problem getting your chickens to IN. Good luck regardless of what you decide and hope you like it out east... Cindy

Also are they going to be in the back of a truck or in a car...You'd be amazed on how my DH has made special room for our pets every time we moved when we were first married(he was working in the campshare and timeshare at the time so we moved lots and in several different states).

ETA: We even moved fish from our tank from TN to GA one year. And yes that was the first thing unloaded and set up before anything else was done. Didn't lose any either...Never did that again though.

Last edited:
It can be done. I have taken birds in pet carriers, multi day trips in the back of the car, back of the truck, and even have seen people bringing birds in pet carriers put into a Uhaul van. Believe me, I was shocked at that, but if you stop periodically, to feed and water and its not the middle of summer, they can even ride in a Uhaul van just fine. I was worried because of air flow, but no problems.

I used to transport expensive parrots. To move your hens.

Find a big plastic dog crate, usually you can get old ones used for cheap to free. Let them travel in that. Put a non skid bedding material in the bottom that is easy to clean out, I used an old towel for padding with multiple layers of paper towels/newspaper on top (kind of a gym matt) you just peel and toss the top poopy layer in the garbage as necessary. If you must use a wire enclosure toss a couple of towels over most of it they like to feel safe and enclosed, too many things seem to fly over the top of them fast (overpasses, light standards) when you are on the highway and it especially worries birds. (I had a parrot that would scream and duck at every overpass until I figured out what was going on and covered his cage.)

Get attachable cups for feed and water at Petsmart or Petco. Plastic ones in the cat/dog section they are cheap and now come standard with many crates. They attach to the door grate at any height you wish. See if your hens will eat and drink from these. Hint you can let them spend time in the crate before you have to leave and they can get used to eating and drinking before you go.

Juicy fruit (grapes and such) will help sustain fussy eaters with water and sugar if you can find nothing else they'll touch, and the scrambled eggs leftover from Denny's breakfasts will almost always be eaten.

I agree with the plastic pet carriers. I buy fake grass Astroturf door mats at Walmart for the floor. They can be cut and trimmed to fit with scissors. With these you can even sprinkle a little scratch or bird seed on the mat and they can occupy their time pecking and scratching, if they room to stand. Have an extra mat(s) so you can exchange a dirty one with a clean one. they are easily rinsed clean. Just something that works for me.

You can do it but be aware now days each state has different laws for transporting/importing and you will need a vet certificate to show should someone decide to nail you on the chickens you are carrying with out of state tags on your car.

I just wanted to say 'Welcome to the neighborhood'!!
I'm just 15 minutes from Terre Haute. It's where I do all my shopping.

There are a few of us BYC'ers in the area and we can help you with your chicken needs! For instance go to Graham Grain on Vorhees for the best feeds at the best prices! (A little shout out to my favorite feed store!)

I think your birds will do fine on the trip, but I can help you with replacing them once you are here if that is your decision.

Good luck and keep us posted!
smile.png

hello everyone,
i am new to this forum. hope every one has a good day. I was born and raised not far from terre haute. the people in southern indiana are very nice.
i think that chickens are a hardy type of bird and will travel well in a crate or cage with plenty of food and water. they will adapt well to the move and may take them a few days to get back to laying because they are a bird of routine and when it is changed they get ruffled and need time to get back in synch. it won't take them long.

have a wonderful day to all.

Back
Top Bottom