Moving from CA to IN

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by mitchwasik, Oct 11, 2008.

1. mitchwasik

mitchwasik New Egg

Jul 9, 2008
    We may be moving to Terre Haute from California and would like to take our 4 hens. Is this something I should consider or should I just start from scratch after the move?

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I'm not sure how hard it is to transport chickens that distance. Have never done it. Also would have to consider the big difference in the weather. Depending on the time of year though, I am sure it is possible, especially if you really love those hens!! Maybe practice taking them for long car rides and see how it goes, and then make adjustments as needed, to condition them for the long drive!!

[​IMG]

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* You and I are in a similar boat. We are due to move from FL to OR, at some point soon. We're planning to fly and taking our 2 hens with us. Hardest part to date (other than illness halting packing) has been finding a vet to give the girls a green light. Seems there isn't a chicken vet to be found around here. [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    All I can say is BRRRR! I just recently moved from FL to KY, and I have froze to death all summer long!!
    I am originally from NW IN, and believe me, it gets really cold there!

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to Indiana...........I don't know much about Terre Haute except that is in the west central portion of the state. It does get cold, but you won't have the lake effect snow of the nw part. I think you will find most people to be very friendly and helpful.

6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

7. INchickens

INchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:I'm also from Indiana........ don't live in Terre Haute, but have been through there a lot lately as my son goes to college in Vincennes. One thing about Indiana....if you don't like the weather....wait til tomorrow, it will be different. [​IMG]

8. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:if you really like them take them with,they will be fine,birds can adapt much better then people to colder temps,its the heat they have trouble with

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    When I moved from Michigan to Vermont I packed the farm and took it with me, including all of my chickens. Hey, they are 'family'! [​IMG]

10. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG] I live about an half an hour away from Terra Haute.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by