Moving from indoor box to an outdoor coop questions

UP Newbie

Hatching
7 Years
I have 6 Cornish Rock chicks that are a little over 2 weeks old. They are in a large box and are getting feisty. It seems like they need new digs! At what age should they be put in the coop? At what temperature should it be outdoors before they are put in the coop? I plan on heating the coop with a 100 watt bulb, but do have a red heat lamp as well that I could use. I live in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) and our temperatures change dramatically. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I usually keep my chicks in the indoor brooder until they're fully feathered--no more baby fuzz. If the weather's warm enough though--70s at least, you could probably put them out safely in the coop and run.

At night, you might have to round them up and put them into the coop for the first five days or so, then they'll start going in at night on their own.

Here in Ohio it's been plenty warm! Downright HOT and HUMID! We've had days in the 90s already. Now, today it's been in the low 70s. Just use your own judgement regarding the heat lamps. Maybe just use one at first, until they get used to things and grow a little big bigger.

We put our broilers in the coop at 2.5 weeks old with no extra heat. It's pretty chilly today (40's this morning) and they are running around like crazy, not acting cold at all. IME the Cornish Rocks get hot a lot easier than lighter breeds and can go off the heat lamps a lot sooner. I haven't let them go outside at all yet though, hopefully it will warm up again in the next few days.

We put our broilers in the coop at 2.5 weeks old with no extra heat. It's pretty chilly today (40's this morning) and they are running around like crazy, not acting cold at all. IME the Cornish Rocks get hot a lot easier than lighter breeds and can go off the heat lamps a lot sooner. I haven't let them go outside at all yet though, hopefully it will warm up again in the next few days.

This makes me feel much better! We put our broilers out in a tent/tractor enclosure this week when it was 85 during the day and 70 at night. Now it's dropped to 60's during the day and 45 at night and I've been very concerned. They have their light and seem fine, so I'll stop worrying!

Back
Top Bottom