Moving from Nashville to Chicago. My first flock, very attached. Do I take my girls?

HollyDelightly

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Hey all. I'm feeling rather torn and could use some advice. Due to a family member's health issues, I'll be moving from Nashville to the Chicago suburbs for at least six months starting in Jan. I'm still in my first year with my girls, so I'm learning as I go along. How well would they handle a 400 mile drive? How well will they handle the switch from moderate TN weather to frigid IL weather in the middle of winter? And what areas around West Chicago, IL (though I'm doing research elsewhere on the forum for this one) allow BYC?

I'm very attached to my girls. Got two chicks in April, one quickly developed crossbeak so I got two more while they were still little. Right before anybody started laying, lost one to a dog and two weeks later, after introducing two new adult birds, lost another to a disastrous pecking order fight. Two weeks after that everybody got a case of infectious coryza, from mild to serious, but everybody came out on the other side ok. (I know it can come up again under stress, another thing to consider with the move.) FINALLY, in the last week, everybody is laying and healthy, and I'm feeling rather proud of myself for keeping them alive.
big_smile.png

If you guys suggest rehoming them in the area instead of putting them through the trauma of moving, I'll do the right thing for them. But I'm afraid with the coryza nobody will take them.

So, overall, I could just use some thoughts and pointers on what steps I should take next, whether that's in the rehome section of the forum or not.

Thanks, you guys have been fantastic, and even if I rehome them I know chickens will be in my life again ASAP.

Last edited:
I would suggest checking with zoning and regulations. Some cities don't allow any chickens, some just hens (not sure why since my hens are noisier than the roosters at times). I live in Minnesota and the temp changes have been drastic in the last week but chickens are built to survive. Give them a clean dry home with food and water. Welcome to winter - it will get cold. Get yourself ready too - thinsolate and gortex

Hahaha, thanks for the last recommendation. I haven't had a northern winter for 6 years, I'm not looking forward to it (but I am looking forward to being closer to family)!

Ya know if you're only planning to be there for 6 months...
1.Set up you coop and run now - while the ground is soft enough to pound in fence post, run electric cord for heat and water,ect...
2.Just bring the girls - what's the worst that can happen? Neighbors complain? Fine? Relocate the flock? I can not see a judge in court forcing you to "dispatch" your pets that are contained to a private yard if you're only to be there for a limited time. But really do research where chix are allowed and talk to your neighbors.
3.Bring your neighbors fresh organic eggs and they too will fall in love with your girls.

Back
Top Bottom