Moving from NM to MS with 8 chickens. NEEED INSIGHT.

Calbobal

Songster
Jun 4, 2018
Well, thread title is pretty obvious. I’m very stressed about this. Already reduced my flocknfor the move. We have some things coming with us in a uhaul trailer. I’m wondering...is that suitable for my chickens? Will the exhaust fumes somehow be an issue. I read that on an old thread here and that terrifies me but I’m not so sure I want them in the back of our pick up for two 12 hour rides.
They will be in wire dog crates, 4 birds per. Although I’m thinking our roo will have his own small one.

Please give me insight on this. I know this is going to be stressful for them and I genuinely want to do what’s best. Thanks

I moved my flock of 25 chickens and 4 ducks in a uhaul box truck last year from Montana to Tennessee
It took 3 days and the fumes didn’t bother any of them
I had to give them water during the trip which spilled and had to refill a lot
I’d recommmend feeding and watering before you head out since it’s a 1 day trip
I wouldn’t stress it they will be fine
I had 5 roosters aboard going cock a doodle doo while I was pumping gas it was pretty funny

I moved my flock of 25 chickens and 4 ducks in a uhaul box truck last year from Montana to Tennessee
It took 3 days and the fumes didn’t bother any of them
I had to give them water during the trip which spilled and had to refill a lot
I’d recommmend feeding and watering before you head out since it’s a 1 day trip
I wouldn’t stress it they will be fine
I had 5 roosters aboard going cock a doodle doo while I was pumping gas it was pretty funny

Oh thank you!!! Yes ours will be a cargo trailer. I’m just a worrier. This is already a stressful move. I do plan to feed them heavily the day before and morning of. We will be stopping every 4 hours to water them.

I am the lone voice, but I would strongly consider, leaving these birds where they are climate wise and starting over once you get settled.

I see that most say load them up, but two twelve hour days in a vehicle, and then in a strange coop/run set up, if there is one there is going to be hard on them. But to each his own.

You might try nipple waters, or waters like for hamsters.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom