Moving into the new coop: nesting box question

Kristina93

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Southern California
I'll be moving my chickens into their new coop this coming week. I have 7 chickens. I have 2 nesting boxes in their new coop. Should I block their nesting boxes at first? My biggest girls are only about 9 weeks old, the next ones are 5 weeks and the baby is about 3 weeks old. Is it a problem to have an open nesting box for them? Or should I just see what happens. I know that we are no where near ready for eggs, but I never thought about blocking the nesting box until I started seeing some people say that they did.

My big girls do roost at night, and my little ones all have a little shelf that the sleep on right now. I will have both a shelf and a roost in the new coop.

I never blocked mine. I would only block yours if your chicks are sleeping in there. Since they're already used to the roosts, I don't think it will be a problem.

Quote:
Agreed.
By the way, it's a good idea to lock the chooks up in a new coop for a few days, sometimes a week, to make sure they will accept the coop as home and return to it each night.

Quote:
Agreed.
By the way, it's a good idea to lock the chooks up in a new coop for a few days, sometimes a week, to make sure they will accept the coop as home and return to it each night.

Agree.

Quote:
Agreed.

Agree.

I was planning on keeping them in for at least 3 days, and maybe more. I'll just have to see how they do. thanks for the tips

Back
Top Bottom