Moving into the new coop: nesting box question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kristina93, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Kristina93

Kristina93 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I'll be moving my chickens into their new coop this coming week. I have 7 chickens. I have 2 nesting boxes in their new coop. Should I block their nesting boxes at first? My biggest girls are only about 9 weeks old, the next ones are 5 weeks and the baby is about 3 weeks old. Is it a problem to have an open nesting box for them? Or should I just see what happens. I know that we are no where near ready for eggs, but I never thought about blocking the nesting box until I started seeing some people say that they did.

My big girls do roost at night, and my little ones all have a little shelf that the sleep on right now. I will have both a shelf and a roost in the new coop.

2. ondreeuh

ondreeuh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    I never blocked mine. I would only block yours if your chicks are sleeping in there. Since they're already used to the roosts, I don't think it will be a problem.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed.
    By the way, it's a good idea to lock the chooks up in a new coop for a few days, sometimes a week, to make sure they will accept the coop as home and return to it each night.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    By the way, it's a good idea to lock the chooks up in a new coop for a few days, sometimes a week, to make sure they will accept the coop as home and return to it each night.

Agree.

5. Kristina93

Kristina93 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Southern California

Agree.

I was planning on keeping them in for at least 3 days, and maybe more. I'll just have to see how they do. thanks for the tips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by