• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChrisSemanas87

Hatching
Mar 27, 2016
I have an unusual situation. I am a missionary in Honduras and built a coop to have hens to provide eggs for the school our mission runs. Because of our immediate need I needed to buy chickens that were already laying instead of raising chickens. I bought 10 hens from a guy that lives close by. The girls are various breeds (I believe australorps, catalinas, and orphingtons.) I figured the move would be a bit of a shock and it take a bit of time for them to readjust and lay normally. The first 4 days I had them I got 2 eggs a day from the 10, and then today, the fifth day, I finally got 5. A few have escaped a couple times (I founded the issue and fixed it) and keep going back to their original home and stay glued to a rooster there until I get them. The original owner says they are very attached to that rooster and I should get him to make them happier. My question is if anyone has any experience kind of like this and if you have any opinions on if I should acquire the rooster. Thanks for your replay!

Get the rooster if you want him, they are just returning to their home which is familiar. It will take some time for them to feel totally at home at your place.

I really would rather not have the rooster, but am willing to get it if will make them happier- aka produce more. I think in time it will be fine, but this is my first experience with chickens. Thanks!

Than skip the rooster until you understand chicken behavior or you could end up being attacked. Your hens will be fine without one.

Ya they likely are more returning to their familiar home than returning to the rooster. It could take a week or so to get them to realize your coop is now home, you may need to keep them locked up in it for a week or 2 for them to realize it. How close is their old coop and flock? If it's right next door it may be a little harder. You don't need a rooster unless you are going to raise your own chicks

Nah, they don't miss him, they are creatures of habit and want to return to their old coop/run.
Keep them confined and give it more time...can take at least a few weeks to habituate to a new environment.

Back
Top Bottom