Moving cockerels/roosters to new flock right next door????

Shiner19

Chirping
Aug 4, 2023
I live next door to my daughter on 15 acres. She has about 35-40 hens and 2 active roosters and one "passive" one that stays in her back yard. They free range their flock during the day who often make their way to my house. I started my own flock earlier this year from chicks from hers. I have 10 pullets and 4 cockerels about age 17 1/2 weeks that I also free range during the day. I know I have to cull out some of my cockerels at some point. They could use one more rooster. My questions:
1. At what age should I reduce my cockerels? I hope to know their personalities better and be able to choose one that will be "friendly" - all of my daughter's roosters are friendly to people.
2. How do I (assuming I can) move 1-2 Cockerels to my daughter's flock? I am worried that with my flock so close we will not be able to do this successfully?

The cull date is different depending on breed. For instance, my silkies (were I want to cull one) are adults at around 8 months, where other breeds are at half that or less. What breed are yours?

When rehoming the roosters, your daughter may need to keep them locked in her coop a few days so it ingrains them that's their home.

Well, really you have one flock, with different coops. I think eventually, the chickens will decide which place they want to sleep and lay at.

I pen up my roosters, to hopefully keep them from being so tough, and to put a little fat on. I have seen large flocks that free range with cover, keep multiple roosters, it can happen.

BUT a good rule of thumb, is the more roosters you have, the greater the chance of it not working. 16 weeks for a full size breed is a reasonable to aim for.

thank you - did not think to look at this from the perspective of one flock with two coops (separated by about 1 acre). So 16 weeks suggests I should move a cockerel or 2 to my daughter’s field/coop?

1. At what age should I reduce my cockerels? I hope to know their personalities better and be able to choose one that will be "friendly" - all of my daughter's roosters are friendly to people.
It sometimes works well to reduce cockerels over a period of time. Each time you are sure that a certain one should go, remove him and then keep watching the others.

So for example, if one starts attacking people, you would remove him. Or if one has a physical problem you might remove him (crossbeak, tendency to bumblefoot, general runtiness, or any other point that matters to you.)

I would suggest you give each cockerel a good look-over for physical traits, in case that turns up anything that matters to you. If you do find something, it helps you decide about that particular cockerel.

The cull date is different depending on breed. For instance, my silkies (were I want to cull one) are adults at around 8 months, where other breeds are at half that or less. What breed are yours?

When rehoming the roosters, your daughter may need to keep them locked in her coop a few days so it ingrains them that's their home.
I have a very mixed breed. I know there is Americana, various heritage breeds and also some who knows what. I got my chicks from my daughter who had a hen walk out one day from her barn (clearly the hen was not cooping up at night - they did not know as they have about 40 and they freecrange and coop up at night - usually) with 20 chicks following her. The next day there were 16 so I took 14 and left 2 with momma. It’s my first flock - my daughter/hubby and us live on 15 acres together (2different houses) and I have helped take care of their flock when they are out of town and now just love having my own. Some of her hens and her roosters regularly make their way to my house and hang out. They continue to come over now that I have my own flock and they go into their run and eat and then peck at my girls to get away, my cockerels watch the roosters and will chase the hens away after a bit and then their rooster will eventually leave. There is not one of my 4 cockerels yet that stand out as one to attempt to find a new home. I know as they age more characteristics will show. I want to keep one aggressive enough to protect my girls and also friendly enough to be around me, Grandma, and my granddaughter (my daughter’s roosters are very friendly). It is too soon I think to know which one is right for me? I do have a favorite that allows me to pet him when giving treats and he may or may not be the best protector.

It sometimes works well to reduce cockerels over a period of time. Each time you are sure that a certain one should go, remove him and then keep watching the others.

So for example, if one starts attacking people, you would remove him. Or if one has a physical problem you might remove him (crossbeak, tendency to bumblefoot, general runtiness, or any other point that matters to you.)

I would suggest you give each cockerel a good look-over for physical traits, in case that turns up anything that matters to you. If you do find something, it helps you decide about that particular cockerel.
I appreciate your reply and for me, makes sense and how I want to proceed. Right now there is nothing that stands out as a concern with any of the 4 cockerels. Two are standing out as possibly being better protectors of the flock and the other two seem to be more passive at this juncture - one of which is my favorite because he allows me to pet him when giving treats etc. and one of the more aggressive ones will jump on my lap for treats. I know (I think) it will take a bit longer to really know their personalities. I am just worried about how late is too late to possibly try moving one to my daughters (she and family are on the same 15 acres as us and some of their flock often frequent my area - my cockerels chase off her hens after a bit and just watch her roosters who show up - no fights yet). It is my hope we could successfully move 1-2 cockerels to her place. I would keep more than one except I am worried about the impact/damage to my 10 hens if I have more than one. Thoughts?

I am just worried about how late is too late to possibly try moving one to my daughters (she and family are on the same 15 acres as us and some of their flock often frequent my area - my cockerels chase off her hens after a bit and just watch her roosters who show up - no fights yet). It is my hope we could successfully move 1-2 cockerels to her place. I would keep more than one except I am worried about the impact/damage to my 10 hens if I have more than one. Thoughts?
As regards the cockerel himself, you should be able to move him at any age, even as a fully grown rooster. So you don't have to worry about "too late" in that respect.

As regards the hens, watch how they look and how they act. If they act stressed or scared, or try to run & hide from the males, or are missing feathers on their backs and heads, then you should quickly reduce the number of males. Putting the males in a cage is a way to give the hens immediate relief, while you take a little while for final decisions.

You could consider penning up 3 cockerels, and watching how just one behaves with you and hens when he is the only one. Depending on whether you do or do not like what you see, pen him up and let a different one loose. It will probably take at least a few days, maybe a few weeks, to get a good idea of each one's behavior in this situation, because he needs time to get comfortable with the changes before you can see how he will really act; so start with the most promising one, and if you like how he acts, you might just decide to keep him and not bother testing the others the same way.

Apparently it's like really nice cuisine in some places? I don't know why, probably because of the black skin and bones.
As regards the cockerel himself, you should be able to move him at any age, even as a fully grown rooster. So you don't have to worry about "too late" in that respect.

As regards the hens, watch how they look and how they act. If they act stressed or scared, or try to run & hide from the males, or are missing feathers on their backs and heads, then you should quickly reduce the number of males. Putting the males in a cage is a way to give the hens immediate relief, while you take a little while for final decisions.

You could consider penning up 3 cockerels, and watching how just one behaves with you and hens when he is the only one. Depending on whether you do or do not like what you see, pen him up and let a different one loose. It will probably take at least a few days, maybe a few weeks, to get a good idea of each one's behavior in this situation, because he needs time to get comfortable with the changes before you can see how he will really act; so start with the most promising one, and if you like how he acts, you might just decide to keep him and not bother testing the others the same way.
Thank you for the advice and great suggestions. This helps me tremendously

Back
Top Bottom