Moving out of state

Asher (Cindy) lives on that side of the state actually. She'd be a great one to ask. Not only is she a postal carrier and sees a lot around the area, she's also helped a friend find a home. She's a sweetheart and is great about answering stuff like this. I'll email the link to this post to her so she'll see it and post.

We are just under Suffolk, VA. My DH is in the Navy so we HAVE to live over here. We've been over to the western side however and it's just breat taking lovely! We are moving that way, or possibly eastern TN when he gets out of the Navy. It's very farmy over here, but kinda "boring" and then we have to go the 4-6 hours over that way for every chicken show throughout the year anyway.
big_smile.png

Stacy

Beanbag, can me and my chickens come live with you? Sounds PERFECT to me!!
big_smile.png

I've only got...um....35 chickens right now!!
ep.gif

Did you consider to move to Ohio. I live in Swanton and it is very country, except in the town part but there is a lot of people that I know that raise chickens here. We do get snow and it does get kinda cold but it is not as bad as in other states where snow can be 12 feet deep. There is lots of farms around here but there is still a few busy roads that run through Swanton. Let us know where you decide to move to and good luck finding a nice house.

-Chickenman8

Quote:
I have also considered Ohio, I've been to Carol County before to get a dog from one of the shelters that still gasses them. I think if I moved to Ohio I would end up with a bunch of dogs
tongue.png

Well , I am in South Louisiana . Lafayette ( Cajun Country ) home of the Rajun Cajun's )

where actually we have 3 Seasons a YEAR . SPRING , Summer , and FALL .

We rarely have freezing temps here . MAYBE 3 - 5 freezes a year . and not any longer than maybe 6 hours .

Food people , Food Music , and GREAT FOOD .

Quote:
No winter, and nice people? How are the laws about chickens/livestock? Are there alot of farms, country like?

Quote:
No winter, and nice people? How are the laws about chickens/livestock? Are there alot of farms, country like?

I live in the city limits of Lafayette . City parish Ordinces Rule that WE CAN HAVE ALL the chickens we want , as long as they are either cages or in a closed Preator proof RUN . In other words , they can NOT free roam .

I have 48 head of chickens .... ALL different breeds , including 4 VERY LOUD roosters and NOTHING they can do . Also they have several smaller neighboring towns near by that are mostly ALL county . I am 56 years old and I was raised in the county and total farm living. and unrestricted . Also outskirts of Lafayette has alot of Country sections . Horses, cows, pigs , huge fields for cropping , Gardens , ETC and the LIST goes on .

You might want to go to www.louisiana.com and www.lafayettelouisiana.com and check it out for yourself .

Last edited:
I just found out, in the town literally right next to us, you can keep as many chickens as you want, but we can't even have one. There excuse was that birds and chickens aren't domesticated, umm...I thought chickens and ducks were domesticated
barnie.gif

Cajun, I used to live in Lafayette LA for about a year and hated it LOL! Loved the people at tha Arcadia Village and the food..it was such a big difference in cuisine from my usual peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and the rice and crawdaddies for lunch! I had my differences with the students I ran into and it wa snot good! Hard to be a teenager down there those days.

Hated the humid weather and rainy days and plenty of mud mounds going on all over the school grounds (went to Montgomery Grade School there it has been a very long time!)

Other than that the winter was mild and we missed the biggest snow blizzard that year in Illinois while we were living in Lafayette. Bummer!

All of us could not stand the racist remarks down there so we moved back up to Illinois.

Loved New Orleans!

Quote:
I read your post and thought, "I don't remember posting to this thread". I live near Keokuk on the Illinois side and that is exactly how I describe to people where I live! Too funny.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom