Moving out of state

perfectly_polish

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
CT
We've finally decided that we want to move out of state, and get the heck out of Connecticut. We're not sure were we want to move, so I thought you guys could tell us about your state or town. We want to move somewhere where it doesn't get too cold, lots of farms, very country, and where it's legal to have chickens/livestock, and fairly cheap(but what is cheap these days
roll.png
) Any ideas?

Iowa is nice but it does get cold. BURR! This was my first winter here and it felt worse than Missouri or Kansas but then again they said it was a really bad year.

Oh, goodness. I'm a transplant to Michigan from Iowa, and I miss Iowa for all the reasons you mention. We lived near Keokuk, Iowa, where Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri meet. But, it gets awfully humid there in the summer.

I love my part of Michigan - I'm in the southest, toward Flint, and there's lots of farmland around here, but the housing is much more expensive than Iowa was. And, the folks aren't nearly as friendly...and, the insurance is MUCH more expensive!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Oh, as far as weather, Iowa doesn't get nearly the snow that we do here in Michigan, and when it does, it melts right away.

Last edited:
We're near Auburn, CA. Schools are pretty decent. There seems to be employment for people who want it. Housing is expensive. As are utilities, gas, food, etc. It is terribly dry here already. I believe that's why it's called the 'Golden State', 'cause everything is golden brown and crispy by the beginning of July!

No major cold here in NC and it's VERY chicken friendly.
smile.png
But near the mountains is better than near the shore IMO. I wish we could live over that way.

Good luck in your hunt to find a new home. I'm glad you're looking for somewhere that's critter friendly.

Stacy

We liked Tennessee (NO income tax
woot.gif
), but I couldn't get a job I liked there
sad.png
Housing didn't seem to bad, and the livestock rules weren't too bad.

I live in a very small town in South Georgia called Fitzgerald. The schools here are absolutely wonderful if you have children, and I am surrounded by farms, pecan farms, peanut farms, many fields of corn, rye, cotton, tobacco, you name it pretty much! There are a few cattle farms near us as well. We live on 27 Acres. We don't have any animal except for chickens. Grandma has 4 egg laying adult hens, and we have 5 young chicks, 4 of which are supposed to be Jersey Black Giant crosses, and then my little frizzled cochin bantam baby. It never really snows here in the winter and we only get a few cold snaps. If you decide to move here and live in the country make sure you have a lot of trees for shade on your property, it can get pretty hot in the summer time. Once we can afford to fix our tiller we will be planting a variety of vegetables.
The soil here is great if you want to go green and grow your own fruits and vegetables, we have a few peach trees, an apple tree and a fig tree....

Quote:
We were considering NC for one of our options. What town(s) would you suggest, preferably one with lots of farms
wink.png

I like Michigan. We live about as south as you can be, on Lake Erie, which stays warmer than most of Michigan. We also don't get the snow the more northern people get (even just north of Detroit). Homes are not "cheap", but if you are in CT they will probably be less. We also have the Right to Farm Act here, which is nice if you have chickens for commercial reasons.

Back
Top Bottom