Moving Silkie chicks outside *6 weeks old*

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
I have 7 Silkie chicks that are 6 weeks old. They will be 7 weeks old this comming Saturday. Well, right now they are in a large brooder in the garage. I was wondering when I can move them to their new coop outside. The coop is an old wooden dog coop that was converted into a 2 section pen. I will be putting 2 heat lamps in the coop, incase 1 blows.

Now, it has been around 50-60 during the day, and it is now getting down to around 28-30 at night.

Ive never had chicks this young, I hatched them in the beginning of September, so im not sure about when I should move them outside.

I was thinking about keeping them in until they get 8 weeks old, then moving them outside. I will be putting lots of straw into the coop, so they can snuggle in and stay warm. Does that sound fine?

What would you do?

I would move them outside. Keep the heat lamps on at night, if they are huddled directly beneath the lamps I would add a second heat source. At 6 weeks they should be ok. Make sure that no direct draft can get on them so that if the wind blows they can get protection. I moved our 6 weekers out last spring when the temps were similiar to yours and they did just fine.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom