Moving the girls out tonight! What do I need?

johnniecourtney

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Sequim, WA
Hi Everyone!

So (weather permitting) it's the girl's moving day! I live in the Pacific NorthWest, and it's been about 50-40 degrees. My chicks are 4 weeks old (at least) and look pretty much feathered out. I'm going to the local Co-op now to get more bedding, food, and some grit and DE. I figured I'd use they're little feeders and water for now. Anything else I need? I'm thinking that I'll keep them in the coop for about a week or so with a heat light in there. I heard if you keep them in the coop for a week or so they'll know to go in there are night from the run. Any more advice before the big move? Thanks.

Here's the girls! Think they're big enough for outside with 40-50 temps?
DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

And our Coop!! Should be done tonight
smile.png

DSC_0160.jpg

Thanks!

Courtney
frow.gif

They should be fine IMO and it sounds like you have everything
I live in the Pacific NorthWest, and it's been about 50-40 degrees.

Are the temps the hughs or lowes? Either way with a heat lamp they should be fine.
love.gif
your birds
fl.gif
good luck
fl.gif

How exciting!!! Mine just loved all the space they had to run around.

Make sure the heat lamp is double hung in case the clamp gives, it won't fall and cause a fire.

Two sources of water if you wil use the little one on the ground in case they knock over one.

One hanging from the ceiling is best. It stays so much cleaner.

Give them a little roost low to the ground to play on.

YES - do leave them in there for a week or two. My ten were in their coop for a couple weeks before I got the run setup and by then they had no fear of going out in the run or going back in the coop at night.

Good luck.

It is nervewracking! I live in PA. They were jumping out of my cardboard box brooder. I had a screen lid I put on top of the box, but with our dogs... I ended up putting them out earlier then I intended. Of course, I did bring them back in the first night...

I had the heat lamp on for a week or so. My chicks seem to love their coop, though. When I have them in the yard (supervised), they run straight back to their coop. Wherever they feel safe is ok with me. I'm glad that they feel secure in the coop we built for them!
yippiechickie.gif

By the way, hubby and I just built a really nice brooder box for "next time". No more cardboard boxes, they were just a mess.

Hi there,

I'm in Tacoma, not too far from you (BYC-wise). My "tweens" have been outside for about a week. They're a bit older than yours but were on an unheated/enclosed porch for about 2 weeks prior to that. Put them outside around 8:30 and check on them around 9:30. If they're shivering, it's too early. If not, they'll be fine.

If they stay the night, they'll come out no problem in the morning. Whether they'll go back in - my last batch did on their own the very first night - is TBD. Given your set-up, I'm willing to bet they'd go in on their own.

My 10 were 4 weeks old yesterday. I decided too that it was time to go outside, so this morning we got everything set up and heat light moved. They are loving it. It is even drizzling rain and they are all out scratching around and having a good time. It does worry me some though, after all I raised them from a day old. I just keep telling myself, "They will be just fine." LOL

I don't recommend hanging a waterer in their bed area. Mine managed to dump a gallon plastic hanging waterer, I think they landed on the edge of it?? Lots of wet shavings and me going
he.gif

I gave them a very small Hamster water bottle in their house (they use a large rabbit one in their run) so that there's less spillage. You could just use a very small dish, that way if they spill it all the shavings don't end up soaked.

Back
Top Bottom