Moving the girls outside -- sorry if this has been asked before

winchesterva

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Winchester
We have 8 - 3 week old girls, they are currently in the basement with a heat lamp on them day and night. They seem quite content, however we would love to move them out to the coop as soon as possible. We are in Virginia with daytime temps around 90 degrees and night time around 65 - 70 degrees.

The coop is all ready for them, very secure with a large run and we believe is also very secure.

Question #1 -- do you think we can move them to the coop without any supplemental heat (lamp)?

Question #2 -- is it really necessary to "lock" them in the coop for a few days/week to acclimate them to their new "home"?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mary

Hello!

You won't need a heat lamp anymore. I use a brooder in the basement, and once it's time to go to the coop, my coops have an attached yard, so they can run around during the day. Then at night, I usually have to put them into the coop each night for about a week and close the door. Usually on about the fifth or seventh evening, I go out and they've gone in by themselves.

Sooo, you'll have to put them to bed at night into the coop so they learn that's where they sleep, and shut them in. This also keeps them safe from predators if your coop is secure.

Now, if you don't have an enclosed chicken run, I'm not sure how to handle that.

I kept mine inside until 8 weeks (much too long) but then I put them out in the coop and left them locked in for about a week, then let them out in the chicken yard... never had a problem, they all go in the coop every night to sleep.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom