Moving them outside into the heat

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Have 16 quailettes in the brooder so far and have just thought of a problem I havnt even considered yet.

What about the heat?

I plan to keep them inside for a couple of weeks and then move them outside. If it was cold I could just put a heat lamp in their outside pen for them - like I use to do for my chicks in Ireland - but now that we are way down south in the land of sunshine cold is the last of my worries!

Is moving them from the air conditioned inside (they have a heat lamp but just cluster at the edges instead of under it) to the heat index of 101 yesterday and only getting hotter outside going to be a problem for them?

I made their pen in the shade of a palm tree at the base of a retaining wall so it has two solid sides and two sides of wire and for extra shade I put plastic roofing on a third of the top and covered it with 4 inches of sand so its a bit underground looking in that side.

I cant think of any other way to cool it down in there.

What age do those of you dealing with southern heat put your littlies outside? As soon as they cant fit through the wire or when they are fully feathered up?

I Usually Brood Mine Until Feathered. Once Feathered They Go Outside To The Barn For A Acclimation Period Of Another Week Or So, Then To The Grow Out Pens. I Have Had No Problems From The Heat With Babies, I Have Had The Occaisional Dinosaur Pass In Extreme Heat, But Have Not Had Any Problems With Young Birds. Also Vitamin C Added To The Water Helps Laying Birds Maintain Higher Lay Rates In Extreme Heat Stress Times.

What kind of quails you have?
I have 15 coturnix. And I put them outside when they were 3 weeks old there almost 6 weeks now, yesturday was 107f down here in southern Cali. And they did just fine

Quote:
Coturnix!

They look like the little wind up hoppy chicks you see at Easter, only with stripes
gig.gif

I would just brood them outside in the shade, use a light at night if necassary.

The weather here in Ca is warming QUICKLY, and I hope its warm enough to brood outside so I dont have to pay for electricity.

Just make sure they dont get wet for at least a week or 2 . . . .

Quote:
The wonderful state of Florida
frow.gif

Hmmmmm, never thought to brood them outside. Will put the max min thermomiter into the open front shed tomorrow and see how hot its getting. The not wet thing is a bit tricky with thunderstorm season upon us though.

Quote:
The wonderful state of Florida
frow.gif

Hmmmmm, never thought to brood them outside. Will put the max min thermomiter into the open front shed tomorrow and see how hot its getting. The not wet thing is a bit tricky with thunderstorm season upon us though.

BAD MOJO IN FLORIDA.... NOW WE'RE INTO THE RAINY SEASON AND IF THEY GET WET BEFORE 4-6 WKS OLD THEY USUALLY WONT TOLERATE IT.... EVEN WITH A HEAT LAMP THEY WILL SUCCUMB TO HYPOTHERMIA QUICKLY AND DIE

Bad MOJO in Florida?

lau.gif
knew a horse called Mojo once but he lived in Georgia and was lovely
lau.gif

I will check the shed but from memory it smells musty so mold is perhaps a problem as is the heat in there, its full sun and HOT HOT HOT even without a front. Might just brave hubbys ire and keep them inside. He says the noise is driving him crazy
hu.gif

Good to know that even 4 weekers will die from rain. Have teh adults under the overhang by the pool but even with that shelter their cage is quite wet after last nights side pour.

Just found a use for cat briars though. Chopped a bunch into two ft lengths and threw it in to the quail cage. All of them plus the cocatiele and budgies they live with are eating and playing away in it like little mad things.

Back
Top Bottom