Moving to Canada from Indiana...any advice?

duck&chickencrazy

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Indiana
Ok long story short...we are moving to be with family in Canada...I plan on taking 2 cats, 2 dogs, 2 horses, and 5 birds (2 geese and 3 ducks). Has anyone ever done this big of a move before? We are hopping to be moved in by next fall. We already have a house to live in so thats set. Im kinda nervous but Im also super excited about it! I cant wait to be with family up there! But the sad thing is I cant take everything...so I will also have to be selling most of my animals :( so if you would be interested in buying some animals check out my post in buy/sell/trade...but anyways Im mainly looking for advice on what I need to do when moving this far with animals, what kind of stuff do I need to cross the border, and any other advice you can think of!!

A few years back my family did a cross country move to Utah from Ohio...but I didn't have chickens until Utah.

If you are moving livestock in Canada, you might have to cough up alot of money for quarantine and all that vet stuff needing to care for your pets.

Have you done any research regarding the requirements for taking animals into a different country? You will likely need to provide health and/or vaccine records and there is usually a quarantine period. The length depends on the country and I believe can be anywhere from 1 to 6 months. Make sure you have all of your paperwork ready in advance.

Let us know how it goes.

The cats, dogs, horses will need a health cerificate from the vet with a valid rabies vacination. This must be issued within 14 days of departure. Don't wait till the last minute because the vet must get the papers stamped by the USDA. There won't be any quarantine. The birds are an entirely different ball game. They might not be allowed and if they are will probably have to do quarantine. Your vet should be able to verify this. Quarantine is expensive and must be booked ahead of time or they might not have space for your animals when you need it.

I kinda knew there might be a quarantine for the birds or something...and I honestly do not mind paying a bit of money for the geese and ducks...I really want to take them with me...they are very important to me...

Ok so good news! Since most of my family is in Creston BC (which is 7 miles from the border of the US) my family has decided that we will not be moving to canada. We will be moving to Spokane Washington for a few years and then I hope to move to Sandpoint Idaho after getting a degree at one of the colleges in Spokane. But the biggest thing for me is that I get to take most of my birds and my goats with me!! Im so happy! Anyone from Spokane or Sandpoint wanna tell me how it is there?

Back
Top Bottom