Moving to Maine; What do I need to know

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I couldn't find a better one.

I live in Southern California. I'm moving to Maine. Two spots about as different as they can possibly be.

So far my biggest challenge has been keeping my chickens cool in 100˚+ weather. I won't know a damned thing about how to protect them from cold. Naturally, before I do ANYthing I want to know I'm taking the specific needs of that climate into consideration when I'm planning to site and to build my new coop.

Of course, besides daunting it's a rather exciting possibility. I'll be able to plan in all the things I didn't know about when I built my present one. I just need to be sure I'm not caught with a whole different kind of things I didn't plan for. So let me know what it's like there, if you please. And thanks in advance!

I live in Southern California. I'm moving to Maine. Two spots about as different as they can possibly be.
WOW!!!!
ME can be brutally beautiful.
Where abouts?

Go BIG!
Walk-in, twice as much space as the 4/10 rule.
Large(12") roof overhangs with open soffits.
Power for heated waterer.

Or you could do a Woods coop, I believe it was designed in Maine.
Intriguing design for max airflow, different than any other type coop.

Aart gives good advice. I’m in NW Ohio and I don’t use heat or insulation. I have electricity for a heated base for the water. I only raise birds that are known to do well in cold climates and I prefer pea combed breeds but have straight combed breeds too. I also avoid feather shanked birds due to the possibility of ice forming on the feathers. Congrats on your move! I’d LOVE to live in Maine!

WOW!!!!
ME can be brutally beautiful.
Where abouts?

It isn't clear exactly where we'll be as we've just begun looking from a whole country away. Most likely the central coast area. Up an inlet. I hope.

Need steep slopes great heat or insulation. Will need well protected coop.

What do you mean by "steep slopes"? What happens if the lot is relatively flat? How would we simulate a slope? What advantage does a slope provide?

When providing a baffle for the wind (which I'm guessing is at least part of what the slope is about) would I want 1 or 2 solid walls?

If the coop is insulated does any part of the run need to be as well? Would you want to recommend an insulating material? Does it need to be between an exterior and an interior wall as in a house?

Aart gives good advice.

I also avoid feather shanked birds due to the possibility of ice forming on the feathers. Congrats on your move! I’d LOVE to live in Maine!

Yes, aart always gives good advice!

Can you explain more about a feather shanked bird? I don't know what that means.

Can you explain more about a feather shanked bird? I don't know what that means.
[/QUOTE]
Feather legged breeds like Brahmas are what I mean. Sorry I like the term “shanks” instead of “legs”! :D I must be old school.

What do you mean by "steep slopes"? What happens if the lot is relatively flat? How would we simulate a slope? What advantage does a slope provide?
It's the pitch on the roof. Allows for rain and snow to fall off. As well hot air rising creates a convection circulation. Flat roof leaves room for stagnant air.. more risk of frostbite.

Birds are already insulated by their feathers.. proper ventilation is key to keeping the coop dry inside.

Message me I will explain
Why not share on the open forum, we are all here to learn as well. :)

I disagree though think it's a fair concern.. some birds in the snow specifically have feathered shanks and feet like the snow grouse..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_ptarmigan

Hope you move goes off without a hitch! I like the Woods style coop also, If you are planning to take your current flock with you, then you will need to get a health certificate from a vet in order to cross state lines legally. :fl

Back
Top Bottom