1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving to new house question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bring, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I'm not sure where to post this but.....
    We have just bought our first home!!! We are planning on taking our chicken coop+yard with us. My girls and one boy free range as well. How do I get them to stay in the yard of the new house? Do I need to lock them up in the coop for a few days? It's the same coop as they've always had. Do you think their egg laying will be interupted by the move? We are staying in the same town so there will be no weather changes or anything like that. I have three out of 7 hens laying right now. It snowed lastnight so I'm wondering when they will stop laying. Any help would be appreciated.

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:Congrats on your new home [​IMG]
    Yes, you may want to keep them in for a day or two, so they continue to recognize it as home.
    Egg laying may be interrupted temporarily, due to some slight stress of a new home, but it should resume within a week- may even make the others lay [​IMG]
    As for the snow (in October [​IMG] ), as the days get shorter, egg laying will gradually slow to a near stop, or will stop completely. A hen needs about 14 hours of daylight, for the thingy-ma-bob in the eye to trigger the release of an egg from the ovary.

Good luck with the move and with the hens!! [​IMG]

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Its snowing in New Mexico. Here in Ohio sunny and 60.

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    congrats on your new home

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by