Moving to Ohio for love and chickens

lovenati

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
Heath, Ohio
Hey everybody! I am in the car right now moving from California to Ohio for love and chickens! After 10 years in New York and five years in Los Angeles I'm ready to get out of the city! And I'm addicted to eggs, so get ready to watch me weep when I eat my first egg from my very first chicken!!!!! Now to decide what chickens to get!

welcome-byc.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What a fun intro! Lots of great breeds out there that are not only great layers, but make great pets as well! I am fond of the Orpington breeds, especially the Buff Orps and the Black Australorps. My Black Aussies are so docile, friendly, great layers and make wonderful lap warmers, which you might need when you arrive in Ohio's 12 degree temps right now! Ha! Plymouth Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, Sex Links and Sussex's, EE's etc...also make great pets as well as great on the laying!

While you are driving, of course please let the passenger do this, LOL, stop by our learning center for all kinds of good reads on building the coop, raising the chicks, and keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck on the move and we do welcome you to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

To decide on which breeds, I suggest looking at the Breeds section: Chicken Breeds

My favorite breed, which should do well in the Ohio climate, is the Wyandotte. Mine are cold hardy and do fine in heat. They are very good layers and the most personable and inquisitive of all my birds. They come in many beautiful colors, so you can have a lovely varied flock. Two Crows has provided you with a list of other good breeds.

WOW! Thanks for the amazing welcome! My partner and I have definitely had our nose in the chicken breeds section of this forum! Thanks for the recommendations! I was also loving Easter Egg layers...I guess all newbies want gorgeous eggs! Docile pet chickens are probably a more important consideration!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. It's always so exciting getting that first egg. Which chicken is best for you depends on what your priorities are. If eggs are your priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. For this reason, they are commonly used by laying houses for producing brown eggs. If you want a friendly, calm, and gentle birds that make potential lap pets, Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles all have a well deserved reputation in this regard. If egg production is important to you, Australorps are the best layers on this list, and Cochins are the worst (although they are the best brooders and mothers). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Have you checked for zoning restrictions(on chickens) in the area you plan to move? That's a surprise you don't want to discover after you get your coop and flock.

Back
Top Bottom