1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

moving to the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Real McChicks, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Real McChicks

Real McChicks In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    California
    SO- the coop should be done in the next two days. [​IMG] Our 4 chicks (6 weeks old) have been hanging out in their new run during the day for a few days and coming back in at night. When it starts to get dark they get very unhappy and loud! SO- how do we make the move to sleeping out in the coop at night? Do we go cold turkey? Put them out there with a light? Make my husband sleep outside with them?[​IMG]

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Songster

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I turn out the light in my chicks' indoor brooder by the time they were around three or four weeks old (day and night). I cut them off cold turkey. The youngest one (an only chick that is now 5 weeks old) now complains loudly if we keep an indoor light on too long and he/she wants to sleep. [​IMG]

Edited to add: The older ones (8 weeks yesterday) have been in their coop and putting themselves to bed without a light for two weeks.

Edited (again) to add: The older ones would have been in the coop earlier but our coop wasn't ready in time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by