Moving to the country, need help figuring out fencing and new coops! My neighbor's loose dogs are c

Don't let yourself suffer at the hands of another. you could set traps or poisons if gun laws are strict or your not a gun person. DEFEND THE FLOCK AT ALL COST!
Do not set poison. I have seen dogs die from poison and it is horrible. They scream for hours. Defend your animals but if you need to destroy the dog do it quickly.
When I was a kid someone locally decided to poison all dogs. They would go around and feed the dogs poisoned meat. We lived 3+ miles from anyone and our dogs were not causing anyone problems. The poisoner got all the dogs including the gentle house pet. My dad did all he could but nothing helped and they were in extreme pain. He finally had to put them all down.

Do not set poison. I have seen dogs die from poison and it is horrible. They scream for hours. Defend your animals but if you need to destroy the dog do it quickly.
I agree with AnneWandering. I too have had a poisoned dog, and it is terrible to watch. It is far kinder to put down a suffering animal than to let it die in pain. If you are unwilling or unable to do so you have no business keeping animals.

Lots of good advice on this thread.

In my opinion, a quality electric fence charger with a heavy charge is a good long term investment. Spend more on that. You can carry it with you and add to your protected area with additional hot wire or electric netting in the future.

As for the dog, I think a mixing a Pyrenees with a border collie is like putting performance tires on a tank. If you want a herding dog get a collie. If you want livestock protection, get a pyrenees or maremma, or a cross of 2 guardian dogs.

Last edited:
Poisoning by antifreeze may be inhumane I agree with that. The poisons used for coyotes are quick and efficient. A mis placed bullet can cause way more suffering
Unless they have changed them, the coyote bait is terrible. We had dogs die from those. Not only are they not good for the environment, carrion eaters die from the poison as well as coyotes and dogs. It used to be that the BLM set out poisoned meat for coyotes near our ranch so our dogs were at risk. Fortunately Idaho made them illegal.

If it were me I would not say anything to the irresponsible lady who lets her dogs kill.Roamers disappear,and it won't be long before her dogs do.I have my acre fenced.For larger areas I would just do post and wire to mark the border.I would fence in smaller spots.Roamers and/or predators are taken care of.I don't discuss,warn,or report people.Though I might take them to court for damages,but it never got to that.

Good luck.Remember if you complain or warn she will remember you when her dogs go missing even if you had nothing to do with it.

My philosophy;

1. Provide the best protection I can for my livestock in the form of fencing, barriers and other deterrents.
  2. Potential domesticated predators showing interest in my livestock are dispatched posthaste. That was your pet? Sorry, you should have kept it under your control. You let it roam like a wild animal and I will treat it as such.
  3. Truly bred-in-the-wild predators showing any interest in my livestock are also dispatched on an individual basis. I do not attempt to destroy a species wholesale. All fill a necessary niche in the great scheme of life.
  4. Poisons are restricted to insects and other like pests, and than on a very limited time and area basis.

old.gif

We have a huge problem with dogs in my area. Some of them are pets, some are packs of wild dogs, and some are hunting dogs that hunters let loose in the woods behind our house. All have been known to kill chickens in my neighborhood. I was at my neighbor's house one day when a pack of hunting dogs came through and killed/maimed a bunch of her chickens while we were screaming and beating them off. These dogs had tracking collars on so we caught and held one until it's owner tracked it to my neighbor's house. Guess who the owner was? The local sheriff and his friend. Not sure which person the dogs actually belonged to, but both were out hunting. He did offer to pay for the loss of her chickens but she told him he didn't have to. The point is, irresponsible dog owners are everywhere, in every situation. And wild dogs are more likely to kill them then anything as they tend to be extremely hungry.

The wild dogs seem to be big into digging under the runs. To stop this, we nailed welded wire fencing to 2x4s and buried the 2x4s deep into the ground. They can't pull the wire out of the ground without pulling the whole eight foot board out. This seems to have done the trick.

Back
Top Bottom