Moving with chicken

DesertBrahma

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2015
New Mexico
So my 7 yr old son has a naked neck chicken he's had since it was a chick. She's about 4 or 5 now. I can't remember. We'll be moving to a different state this coming winter. She's healthy, and happy. He has already told me if we don't take her (already was planning to) then he won't be going. Charizard is my chicken momma she has to go. So here's my question. What all do I need to do to take her with us besides making sure she has a carrier, and food and water. Do I need to get her vaccinated for anything? She's a family pet by now even though she originally was supposed to be egg production. He's made her a pet. Evem sneaks her in the house until I discover it and banish her again lol.

I don't think she has to be vaccinated.

Just her, no other chickens right?
Yes it's just her. She preferred humans and cats over other chickens. We tried. We tried hard to get her to accept a flock. She noped out of all of them. Even beat up my friends huge rooster when we tried to take her there and be part of that flock, and jumped the fence. 8ft fence too. She ran right back to us since we were still there. So no go on a flock for now. After we get settled we'll try again to get her to accept a flock.

I would recommend putting a thin sheet or blanket over carrier during the car ride to help keep stress down or maybe something she is familiar with in her carrier. What kind of naked neck chicken? If she goes broody you may have better odds of having her in a flock if she hatched eggs rather than trying to get her to get along with hens :)

I've moved chickens across state lines before. Kennel, food, water and a sheet to cover the kennel is all I ever used and my chickens did great. Drove 7 hours with them in my back seat. Had some squawking but they settled down pretty fast and stayed quiet for most of the ride. Some states do require a clean bill of health from a vet to transport livestock across state lines. You shouldn't need to vaccinate her for anything. Do some research of what states your going to drive through and what they require for livestock transportation.

It sounds like you have your hands full with your son and his girl! I hope you'll keep us updated. I'd love to see some pictures too. I have a couple of naked neck girls and they have so much personality!

Yes it's just her. She preferred humans and cats over other chickens. We tried. We tried hard to get her to accept a flock. She noped out of all of them. Even beat up my friends huge rooster when we tried to take her there and be part of that flock, and jumped the fence. 8ft fence too. She ran right back to us since we were still there. So no go on a flock for now. After we get settled we'll try again to get her to accept a flock.
Sounds like a plan.
I would recommend putting a thin sheet or blanket over carrier during the car ride to help keep stress down or maybe something she is familiar with in her carrier. What kind of naked neck chicken? If she goes broody you may have better odds of having her in a flock if she hatched eggs rather than trying to get her to get along with hens :)
Also a good idea.
It sounds like you have your hands full with your son and his girl! I hope you'll keep us updated. I'd love to see some pictures too. I have a couple of naked neck girls and they have so much personality!
X2!

Back
Top Bottom