Moving with chickens

Jonessa

Songster
5 Years
Apr 20, 2017
Vancouver Island
We are planning a move from Kamloops to the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, and I would love to take my 7 girls! The trip itself is not a concern, as it's only about 7 hours and will occur during mild spring weather - it's what to with them at the other end that is tricky. We don't know yet what our living arrangements will be at the other end - we may find a house right away, or may end up renting or even living in an RV for awhile while we house hunt. If we don't find a house right away, that means maybe finding some kind of temporary home for the girls, maybe a spot on someone else's property... even if we do find a house, there's going to be some in-between time as we set up a permanent coop for them. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this work? My children and I would be heartbroken to have to say goodbye to them if we can't sort this out.
While it doesn't address WHERE they will live, one suggestion that a friend made was to pre-build a small coop before we move that we could assemble wherever the chickens end up. Then we would build a more permanent coop once we're settled. So if anyone has plans to share for a simply, small coop, that would be much appreciated!
Anyway, I would love to hear folks' thoughts, ideas, and experiences - thanks!!

Truthfully, chickens hate change, it really stresses them. In the circumstances you are describing, it would be huge amount of change several times in a short to longish period of time. Stressing birds can weaken their disease resistance and by putting them in new and strange places they could be more apt to pick something up.

If you truly want these specific birds, I would find a place where you currently are, a friend or a neighbor, or ... and have them take the birds. Then after you get established, then bring the birds over.

Mrs K

Truthfully, chickens hate change, it really stresses them. In the circumstances you are describing, it would be huge amount of change several times in a short to longish period of time. Stressing birds can weaken their disease resistance and by putting them in new and strange places they could be more apt to pick something up.

If you truly want these specific birds, I would find a place where you currently are, a friend or a neighbor, or ... and have them take the birds. Then after you get established, then bring the birds over.

Mrs K

I understand that moving will be stressful for them, and I will do what I can to mitigate that as much as possible. If others have suggestions to that regard, I'm all ears.
That being said, I'm not sure I understand how the situation I described is a "huge amount of change several times", nor do I see that it makes any difference whether I find them a temporary home here in Kamloops or one on Vancouver Island, it's just changing the order of things:
current home ---- temporary home here ---- travel ---- permanent new home
current home ---- travel ---- temporary home there ---- permanent new home
It's possible that a temporary home won't even be necessary - but I am trying to be prepared for all potential situations.
I do want these specific birds, they are pets and part of our family. Otherwise I wouldn't be going to the trouble of trying to move them.

You are right that the stress goes both ways. Your way would highly stress me. I think that I was worried about a make shift temporary home which would/could be less than predator proof and more than likely quite a bit smaller than what they are used to. Plus it could be difficult to find a place to live that will allow chickens. My thinking is that where you are now, you know your way around, and probably other chicken people.

Getting a new coop/run set up does take time. I would not want 7 full grown girls living in a cramped temporary set up. I do think there is a good chance of very sick birds, with this much stress, but maybe not. There is also the chance of very ugly behavior that birds can have when stress and kept too close together for too long of time. I am not sure of the change in climate from one place to the other, as I am not sure where your home is now, I could research it, but didn't. But that could be an added stressor too.

I would want to get moved into my new home, get things ready, and then get chickens. Just my perspective. Good luck.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom