Moving with Chickens

Its not too hard. When i moved with my 10 chickens (and 6 rabbits, turtles, 65 fish, various invertebrates, snakes, frogs, lizards, 3 cats and a dog :D), I just put them in dog kennels and loaded them up. We had cages stacked to the ceiling. The rooster (or top hen) might peck others if they are too close, so i put them in separate cages. I had 6 hens in one cage, 3 in another, and a rooster in another. It was a noisy 12 hour drive, lol. Oh, also, i brought a couple rabbit waters full and offered water or ice cubes to them at the stops. Good Luck!!!

WOW that was like moving a circus LOL. Here I am stressing about 7 chickens, 1 fish and 5 cats. MA to TX is about 3 days of driving. Was the coop already for them once you got to your new location or did you need to do that once you arrived?

No, that was the hard thing. Once we got there, I set up a temporary fence for them during the day and at night they slept in the dogs kennels in the garage for about a week while we built the coop. We did bring most of the materials for the coop, but we had to build it. They did get tamer and i got scratched having to carry them all back and forth morning and evening. LOL. It wasn't the best, but one even started laying during the crazy :) 3 days is a long drive. We were going from AL to MO. this was about 2 months ago.

Be sure you have health certificates for your animals. If you get stopped by a nasty cop and you don't have up to date health certificates it is possible all animals will be confiscated and destroyed.

Just so you know........

Thanks, you have put my mind at ease (some what) LOL. We have our coop build and the moving company will take it for us so we will just have to reassemble the run once we get it there.

nice :) Hope it all goes well!! enola does have a point. We didn't for the chickens or rabbits because we were tight on money, but you are supposed to have health certificates before taking animals across state borders. If you can't, make sure all the animals are not visible by passerbys...we put up blankets and it protected them from the sun :)

My son (who transported animals for a living) has informed me that confiscating and destroying chickens will be the least of someone's worries. He claims the FINES will bankrupting.........

I am sure lots of people get away with hauling chickens to where ever they want to, but I have too much money tied up in my chickens to risk them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom