MOVING WOODEN EGG OUT OF NESTING BOX

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CKNNWBEE, Feb 15, 2013.

1. CKNNWBEE

CKNNWBEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    I am waiting for our girls to start laying. They are 21 weeks on Sunday. I have put a 5 gallon bucket on its side mounted to the inside of their coop. I put shavings in there and a wooden egg. But, every day when I let them out, one of the girls has been in the 'box' and pulled out some of the shavings and the egg is sitting on the floor of their coop. What does this possibly mean?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My guess is that you don't have a good lip on it to keep them from scratching the eggs and nesting material out. I've had that problem.

I know you want us to say they are about to lay. It's not a bad sign. They will often get in a nest box a few days before they start and scratch around.

But it is also possible one was just up there scratching around looking for food.

I consider this good for two reasons. One, you’ve learned you need to work on those nests a bit to stop them from scratching bedding and real eggs out without getting a broken egg. And two, it’s not a guarantee but it is a pretty good sign. I’d be a little encouraged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by